Import excel files ???? (1 Viewer)

A

autoboy

hi there everyone,

i am a beginner with a lot of this stuff but here goes - - - -

i have designed a database for all of my clients within my business. i now need to import some information from excel which my franchisees have sent through. But when i go to import then follow the prompts it will not let me slect an exsisting database. It is a faily simple list and silly me thought i could just copy and paste the info into the relevent client list but that was a no go.

i would really love any help any one is able to give me.

have a great day...............

corey.

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:34
From the database you want to import data into select File > Get External Data > Import. In the dialog box that opens select Microsoft Excel (.xls) in the Files of Type field. Then navigate to the Excel file and import your data...

hth,
Jack

A

autoboy

thankyou

jack thankyou,

but when i do that it says that there is an error if i try to import them into an exisiting database table. When i insert them into a new table i cannot work out how to copy them into the original table?

any ideas?

thanks again.

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:34
You don't say what the error is, but since you can import the data into a new table, I guess that the problem is with the data types.

Have a look at the new table in design view and compare the data types with the table you want to write the data into. This should show you the problem fields.

To get round this, you will either need to tinker with your data in Excel, or in your new table. If you have done that and have your properly formatted data in the new table, you can use an append query to add it, or use Copy and Paste/Append to Existing Table from the Table window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom