Importing a COBOL field (1 Viewer)

tdetzel

Local time
Today, 22:24
Gang ... I have to import a big table that includes a numeric field in COBOL format. Negative integers have a special character in the rightmost column of the field.

Is there a way to filter this using an import specification so that I get a standard numeric field in Access?

The COBOL characters are ]=-0; j=-1, k=-2, l=-3, m=-4, n=-5, o=-6, p=-7, q=-8, and r=-9.

Any ideas you have are welcome.

Gareth50

Registered User.
Local time
tdetzel said:
Gang ... I have to import a big table that includes a numeric field in COBOL format. Negative integers have a special character in the rightmost column of the field.

Is there a way to filter this using an import specification so that I get a standard numeric field in Access?

The COBOL characters are ]=-0; j=-1, k=-2, l=-3, m=-4, n=-5, o=-6, p=-7, q=-8, and r=-9.

Any ideas you have are welcome.

I'm a beginner with access so don't know how to incorporate a filter at import time but you could use an Update query to create a new field by using access string handling functions.

Assume the field that contains your COBOL data is called Field1 then:

Once you have imported the data into a table - create an update query that utilises the following:

IIf(Right$([Field1],1)="[",0,Asc("i")-Asc(Right$([field1],1)))
this returns the correct -1, -2,etc from your righthand column

Mid$([Field1],1,(Len([field1])-1))+[field2]
this returns the left part of the field no matter how long it is

All you need to do then is join the two together in a single statement to create a field (or update your original value) of the form "12345-5" or "123-9"

Note: This only works if you import the numeric string from COBOL as a text field.

Don't know if this helps but it might be worth a try - copy the imported table before trying it, then if it goes wrong you still have a good copy to play with.

Good luck

Gareth

tdetzel

Local time
Gareth ... Thanks -- that's a good idea. I've been experimenting with update queries as a solution. I'll give your suggestion a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom