Solved Increasing latency for an Access-SqlAzure connection? (1 Viewer)

Etxezarreta

Local time
Today, 06:06
Hello everyone,
With an Access FE-SqlAzure BE application, it happens quite often that an error message appears because the connection atempt lasts too long, or at tleast I guess this is the reason. Sometimes it works perfectly during hours.
Is it possible to increase the lag time in the ODBC string for instance?
I create the string using the migration wizard. Here is what it looks like:

Code:
DRIVER=SQL Server Native Client 11.0;SERVER=blablabla;APP=SSMA;DATABASE=blablabla;

Many thanks again people for your suggestion!
Etxe.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:06
I think the default timeout is 60 seconds from memory.
There are related settings in Access Options - Client Settings
1613641748463.png

Etxezarreta

Local time
Ok, I increased the update retry interval, and it seems to work better.
Many thanks again Minty.
As I know you use a lot SqlAzure BE, have you faced issues regarding the "connection fails" error message? If so, what is the strategy to manage this issue?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:06
If it's a time out due to a connection dropping create a static form (hidden if required) left open with a connection to a table or view simply use a timer event to fresh it, that will normally "reconnect" the connection.

If you use a Dynaset based recordset it should stay open all the time there is any data on an active form.

I believe that Access behaves better with dropped SQL connections depending on the driver and Access version, but I can't find the link at the moment.

Etxezarreta

Local time
Thanks a lot!
The issue was indeed that I was working with the Drivers 11 Native, instead of the brand new 17 version.
It was necessary to create a new ODBC connection, and then to update the links between the FE and the BE.
It works just fine now.
Etxe

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:06
Don't forget that networking is a two-way street. Your client's connection can time out. So can the server's connection. It is pointless to set the client's timeout longer than the server's timeout. Ask your IT folks what the timeout setting is for your server. Also ask them for guidance on setting a keep-alive timer at the network configuration level for your client machine. If you have a keep-alive, you will keep that connection active until you actually close it or one of the involved machines (client OR server) goes down for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom