Inserting textbox of "Bob & Jake & Jill" into rft field results in "Bob& Jake & Jill" (1 Viewer)

bignose2

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:45
Hi,

I have a rtf field (emailreply) on a form.

It is made up of simple strings & other fields
e.g.
me!emailreply = "hello" & me!Names & "how are you" & "this is your address" & me!Address

me!Names is a field & textbox (normal NON rtf)

if Me!Names is "Bob & Jake & Jill", when me!emailreply is constructed it shows "Bob& Jake & Jill".

i.e. removes the first space in front of the FIRST &

weirdly (to me) it only does it to the first, Jake & Jill is normal.

I am sure I can find ways to test & replace/add but would quite like to know what is happening and if a simple way to fix.
I have this me!Names in dozens of long liens of code making up sentences.

tried plaintext(me!names) & having another field that is rtf and = me!Names & insert this rft field instead, no difference.

thanks I/A

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I've not tried this but what happens if you use a double space after Bob?
Does it reduce it to a single space?

bignose2

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,

Yes, double space after Bob is reduce to single space,

I can program to sort but just seems odd (and unnecessary), especially as does not do it to the others after, I could sort of appreciate the ampersand causing issues but why only the 1st.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
The ampersand is a weird character in Access.

Put "Me && My Shadow" into the caption property of a label.
1615648973062.png

Then try it with one & ...
1615649018560.png

I'm sure I read about why this happens but cannot for the life of me find any references to it.

bignose2

Registered User.
Local time
In the caption I understand why especially on buttons etc. to act as if pressing using the alt key but why on the actual underlying data.

I know rtf fields do behave differently with all the html and perhaps inserting a non-rft into a rft field can really complicate & cause unpredictable results but this does not make much sense.

bignose2

Registered User.
Local time
Even more confusing, I have it set up so I can view exactly the same data but on a plaintext control so it shows all the rtf/html tags,
as below, just different names, Bonnie & Lulu & belle, you can see the space is there

<div>I am pleased to <strong>confirm</strong> the booking(s) as below.</div>Sat 01-May-21 To Mon 03-May-21<br><br>Bonnie & Lulu & belle<br>Poodle & Yorkie

view the same in a RichText control (my normal viewing method) and there is no gap 'Bonnie& Lulu & belle'

ignore the <br> etc, I know a mix here with the <div> also but I do send sometimes plain but sure this does not have any bearing on this issue.

bignose2

Registered User.
Local time
Just for ref. rather given up trying to find out but if anyone does know off hand,

Replace(Me!PetNames, "&", " &", , 1)

does fix easily, although I have a lot of places I need to apply.

thanks for any replies.

bignose2

Registered User.
Local time
The Saga continues, re-visiting anyway.
Mostly use of this field/data is RTF, emails I send out etc.
However I also now want to remove the html when it needs to be a TEXT/SMS.

on a mission now to find out what is going on..

All below is using the same me!LetterSource, a rtf field in a table

I am looking at now, in a rft textbox, 1 space after Bonnie.
Bonnie & Lulu & belle
Poodle & Yorkie & Cat

the same data source viewed in a plain text textbox, has 2 spaces after Bonnie (this is the extra space I added to fix)
Bonnie & Lulu & belle<br>Poodle & Yorkie & Cat<br><div>&nbsp;</div>

If Iterate through the text, I can see the two asc 32's
B 66
o 111
n 110
n 110
i 105
e 101
& 38
L 76
u 117
l 108
u 117
& 38
b 98
e 101
l 108
l 108
e 101
< 60

If I email this or export to a text file it has the two spaces.

As soon as I edit the text & make any change typing in the textbox, it reverts to 1 space, as view initially.
The problem is if I have just one space originally, as it should be really, it reverts to no spaces. which was my problem from the start.

Either way something odd is happening.

I have refreshed, exited the program, come back in, the same data loaded showing 1 space but still 2 in the underlying table or viewed any other way. would not be too much of issue but as I say as soon as I reply & make any changes anything with this suddenly have no spaces.
tried..
me!LetterSource.value
me!LetterSource.text
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord

Tried so many different variations!

Any ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom