Inter table transfer (1 Viewer)

border20

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:40
How would i go about adding a colum from a table to another table so that when the colum in the original table is modified, so is the other one ?

thx

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:40
You normally do not store the same data twice so I suggest you make sure that your db is properly normalized. If you have the data in one table it is available to you at any time so there is no reason, that I can think of, to put the same data into another table.

Jack

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:40
So to finish Jack's comment, don't copy data to the second table. Build a field in the second table that you can use to reference the related record in the first table. Then put the first table's unique record number in that second table's linking field where appropriate.

This does not work correctly, however, if the relationship is casual rather than formal and enforceable. So you need to specify whether there can ever be cases in the second table where there is no corresponding information in the first table to be linked.

I.e. Jack's suggestion and my amplification thereof only apply if the second table is a formal subset of the first one. If this is not the case, you need to let us know that in your problem description.

I'll answer ahead of time... if the two tables do not have a subset & superset relationship to each other, the answer is... you really can't do that in Access without a LOT of work restricting what your users can see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom