Is it risky to "use windows themed controls on forms" (1 Viewer)

jacko6

Local time
Today, 17:29
When I deploy my Access apps to client PC's I like them to look like I designed them.

There is an Access property "use windows themed controls on forms". In my opinion this can make radio buttons (particularly) and check boxes look better.

I've done some testing and while not drastic I am noticing colour changes to field borders, text etc when I set this to true.

If this is set to true, do you run the risk of a user's Windows theme considerably changing the look of your access app?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:29
If this is set to true, do you run the risk of a user's Windows theme considerably changing the look of your access app?
We have no control over bugs that MS introduces into Access. We can only hope that people report them promptly and that the team is willing to fix them promptly.

I leave the property set to yes and no one has complained but that doesn't mean that the color change isn't happening on some PCs.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:29
Windows themes don't change the nature of controls - only their appearance. That is, the look-and-feel will vary according to a user's choice of Windows theme. However, a radio button would still look like a radio button and a text box would still look like a text box. The "effects" might change to match the Windows choices. Effects like whether a pressed button looks beveled or not, raised or flat or lowered,... that sort of thing. The colors would also potentially change according to theme.

As to "risk"... please define what you consider to be a negative outcome of taking the risk and being wrong to have done so?

I would presume you are using ThemeColorScheme objects or something like that.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:29
Where themes are implemented throughout a database, users can easily change the appearance of database controls in a few seconds (though very few will know how or wish to do so)
As already stated, there is no risk to data or to database functionality. I have never heard of any issues since they were introduced with A2010.
If end users do change themes and don't like the outcome, they can just as easily change it back again

As well as just improving the appearance of individual controls, I have found themes useful for customising apps sold to different clients in order to match their corporate colour schemes.

The expert on using themes is Peter Cole:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom