Issue with Auto Fill on a Combo Box (1 Viewer)

MattBaldry

Self Taught, Learn from the Forums
Local time
Today, 19:34
Dear forumers,

I have an issue with a single combo box, on a single machine. This form has 8 combo boxes I use to filter a list box. But I have an issue on a single client machine where 1 box, just 1, no longer works. Image is below. In every other combo box, once you start typing it starts to autofill, as always.

But the one I have shown dropped down, no longer autofills. As you can see, the list is populated, but no matter what value you type in, it says not in list.

For example, if I was to type in 16158, which is shown top of the list, if cannot find it.

Everyone is using the same version of the database, and every other client works fine. It is installed on 15 clients and no one else has the issue.

Every other combo box works fine on this client, but not this one. I have not made any updates. I have not changed any references. But somehow this one machine, one combo box no longer works. But it used to work....

I have checked windows and office updates, all up to date. I am totally stumped.

~Matt

Picture1.png

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:34
can you check the combo in design view on its Property Sheet->Data->Auto Expand: Yes
also check on the Option->Current Database->Don't display lists when more than.... (type 9 (nine times))

MattBaldry

Local time
can you check the combo in design view on its Property Sheet->Data->Auto Expand: Yes
also check on the Option->Current Database->Don't display lists when more than.... (type 9 (nine times))
Hi Arne,

The auto expand was already set. I have updated the list display but this has not fixed the issue. What boggles me is that it is only that combo, and only that client. Everyone else works off the exact same version FE and the other 14 clients are all fine. Likewise, every other combo on every other database works on this client. It is just this combo that doesn't work. If he uses the dropdown to filter, it works. It is only when he tries to type in it.

~Matt

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Have you tried a fresh copy of the FE for that client?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:34
you can re-create the combo?

MattBaldry

Local time
Have you tried a fresh copy of the FE for that client?
I have indeed. I have a batch file linked to a shortcut, so every time they open the shortcut, it copies the file from a single server location. Makes it easy when I do an update, they just close and reopen to get the latest version.

~Matt

MattBaldry

Local time
I will give that a go. Weird that it is only that combo and only that machine though. As I said, the list part itself works, it just won't work if you type in it.

~Matt

MattBaldry

Local time
I tried this. I actually deleted and rebuilt all combos, but this one still fails. Only this one, the others all work fine.

Really weird this. It was working before. And this FE never gets changed really. Everything has always worked. The version people were using was October 2020.

~Matt

MattBaldry

Local time
Hi all,

Just to rekindle this, I wondered if it was related to references, so I took the accdb version to the affected machine to check.

The curve ball here is, the accdb version works fine. When I convert to accde, it stops working.

All used references are fine. Everything else works as it should everywhere. It is just this one damn combo box.

Client machine has all current Windows and Office updates.

I am really stumped beyond my brain on this one.

~Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom