Largest Programs Ever Written (1 Viewer)

deletedT

Local time
Today, 06:06
largest program ever written.jpg

If you want to check yours, Allen Browne has an utility you can use:

Last edited:

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:06
One flaw (?) of AB's utility includes blank and comment lines in procedures.

deletedT

Local time
One flaw (?) of AB's utility includes blank and comment lines in procedures.
Most of my comments are in-line comments. It means at least there's a line of code for each comment.
But for sure, I have a lot of blank lines.

Is there any way to skip counting blank lines?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Is there any way to skip counting blank lines?
You could iterate through the lines in the module and count them based on criteria that recognised the content as blank, comment or other.

deletedT

Local time
You could iterate through the lines in the module and count them based on criteria that recognised the content as blank, comment or other.
How?
The code reads every module in one go, not line by line.

ModuleLines = Modules(strModule).CountOfLines

Should I export each module to a text file and read it line by line to recognize the blank lines?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Should I export each module to a text file and read it line by line to recognize the blank lines?

You can address modules line by line. See the Lines Property of the Module.

BTW The construction and manipulation of Modules can be automated. Before switchboards were added to Access I fully automated the creation of a switchboard form with buttons to open tables, queries, forms and reports.

I had inherited some primitive databases and needed users to be able to work with them in Runtime but they were so badly constructed they were not worth doing proper development. I would just run the code to generate the form and then delete the buttons I didn't want.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
One should be careful about wearing the number of objects and lines of code in a project as a badge of honour. Sure it can be because it has huge requirements but it can also be due to clumsy design and repetitive coding.

One of my favourite coding quips goes like this:

Supervisor: "Your code is OK but I don't like the ending."

Programmer: "What is wrong with the ending?"

Supervisor: "It's too far from the beginning."

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 22:06
@Tera wow (re: your orig. post), that's LARGE! The commercial companies' apps you mentioned there, also amazing, I don't know how they stay organized sometimes!
As far as random tech quotes, one of my favorites - because I have to confess to feeling this same excitement emotion sometimes when something finally worked- "Hey, it compiles! Ship it!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom