link 2 laptops? (1 Viewer)

J

Jerry Stoner

I have a potential client who owns a take out Pizza shop. He has no server and must use laptops(2) due to space constraint to cover his phone lines for orders. How can I link the 2 laptops to each other so one holds the main db and the other holds the front end and the back end is updated? Key is cheap cheap cheap as the client is not rich.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:48
I haven't actually done this so I don't know all the details but Windows comes with a simple built-in peer-to-peer network capability. So, with the proper hardware which may include two network cards and cables, and possibly a router, you should be in business. Check this out in Windows help.

I have also used a a product called AnyPoint (< $200 for two PCs). It comes with everything you need. It does require that the PCs have modems installed and both modems must be connected to the same phone line so if you have only one jack, you'll need a splitter. This product uses the already existing phone lines in your office to network the PCs. They don't need to be in the same room, just connected to the same phone line. It also allows the networked PCs to share the same internet connection and printer which is why I was using it at home.

BukHix

Registered User.
Local time
Ok if you are only working with two PCs and they are both either Windows 2K or XP all you need to do is get a cross over cable which will cost you about $10.00 at your local computer shop.

For around $50 you can buy a Network kit which will come with a 4 or 5 port hub and two network cards. This is probably the best way because of the ability to add other PCs is allways an option.

If you are working with Win9x you can still do it but it gets a little more complex. Let me know what your setup it and I will see if I can help you out further.

SteveM

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:48
The only problem with purchasing a network kit is that the network card contained within the kit will be PCI. This option is not suitable for laptops.

You will need to buy either a PCMCIA Network Adaptor or a USB Network Adaptor.

BukHix

Registered User.
Local time
The only problem with purchasing a network kit is that the network card contained within the kit will be PCI. This option is not suitable for laptops.

Very good point. If they are recent Laptops they may alread have network cards built into them. I recently (last December) looked into buying a laptop and network cards were a pretty standard feature.

J

Jerry Stoner

Thank you all. Im sure Ill be able to get it done with this info. BTW they will be the cheapest laptops he can find (read e-bay). What should I recommend as a minimum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom