Link emptly table in network db. (1 Viewer)

tekno

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:40
How do I open a linked table with the OpenRecordset method? In Access 2000 the help files suggest creating an empty table, linking it to frontend, then opening it using the OpenRecordset method thereby eliminating the necessity of Jet engine to open and close database repeatedly (recreating .ldb) Primary reason: db on network starting to run slowly.

Shep

Shep
Local time
Today, 16:40
Not quite sure what you're driving at.

If the database (or, more correctly, the Workgroup Information File) is not in use the .ldb is created when a user logs in and remains until there are no longer any users logged in.

Opening a recordset does not in itself create an .ldb, logging in to the .mdw does.

I am not familiar with the concept you mention, but my guess is that your network traffic will not be significantly reduced, unless you have a large number of concurrent users banging away on a really busy database.

Better perhaps that you first concentrate on basic maintenance, ie compacting the back end, compacting all front ends, defragging the server, rebooting the server once a week or so to reclaim RAM lost to memory leaks, defragging all workstations, etc.

Of course, if none of these things apply to you at this point, then maybe you'd like to explore further what you found in Access Help. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom