Link to other db (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 13:45
How can I link to second db from a cmd in first db? I tried putting the path in the link address line but that didn't work Goggle didn't bring up anything.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:45
What do you mean by link to a second DB?

Do you want to open it?

Do you want to extract information from a table?

Do you want to run a function?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Something else?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
What do you mean by link to a second DB?

Do you want to open it?

Do you want to extract information from a table?

Do you want to run a function?
Sorry I wasn't clearer. I want to click a cmd on form of db 1 and open db2

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I know you can create shortcut on your desktop to a database. From memory, I can't check on my PC because I'm on my phone at the moment, you open the database open a form and then try and drag the form onto the desktop and it creates a link something like that anyway!

So now you have got a URL you could use the follow hyperlink I reckon, to open it.

I can't test it myself so I'm not 100% sure

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Well I'm at my PC now and I thought I would check on the answer I gave to this question. Much to my surprise I discover that the what I thought was a simple link is actually called a "MAF file. "Microsoft Access Form - shortcut" I can't see any way of calling it with "follow hyperlink" so unless someone know something I don't, then I don't think that's an option. However it was quite an intriguing exercise for me because I discovered that the extension "MAF" is actually "invisible" in Microsoft Windows. I found this excellent article about it. Invisible file extensions on Windows By Floydman.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Well I'm at my PC now and I thought I would check on the answer I gave to this question. Much to my surprise I discover that the what I thought was a simple link is actually called a "MAF file. "Microsoft Access Form - shortcut" I can't see any way of calling it with "follow hyperlink" so unless someone know something I don't, then I don't think that's an option. However it was quite an intriguing exercise for me because I discovered that the extension "MAF" is actually "invisible" in Microsoft Windows. I found this excellent article about it. Invisible file extensions on Windows By Floydman.

Yes, I didn't time to respond, but that was the second thing I tried. First was putting the path in the property sheet link address line, second was putting a icon on the desk top and on parallel screens drag the icon to form of db1. (No Go) now here's the kicker. Put the form in design view and the link works. thanks I will goggle MAF

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom