Linked tables and ODBC (1 Viewer)

chrisjrice

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:34
I have a database which uses linked tables. I set the linked tables up using an ODBC datasource which I configured on my pc. It is a fairly basic configuration it just allows me to link the tables to our AS400 database.

The problem is, that it works fine when I run the database on my PC, but when somone else tries to use it on there pc the ODBC connection fails.

The database itself is stored on a network that anyone can access. The persons who have access also have the same named odbc configiration on there PC's as well.

Anyone help???

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:34
Have you tried just using the ODBC connection with a different DB or something to verify it works on that pc? Also have you verified the permissions on the other pc's?

chrisjrice

Registered User.
Local time
Hello,

The configiration of the ODBC driver is the same on all machines. If however I re-link the tables on another PC, I can then access them from that PC, but can still not access them from any other PC including my own. It's like there is some sort of ownership authority onthe ODBC driver??? I am stumped to be honest!

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:34
Sounds like you are using a USER DSN instead of a SYSTEM DSN.
Verify all are using a System DSN, and the ODBC driver is names EXACTLY the same, and points to the EXACT same place for the linked tables. If a drive mapping is in place, the drive/path has to be exactly the same for all connections.

chrisjrice

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks loads for your help.

I have found the problem...... i feel a bit red faced. Basically I thought I had both ODBC connections configured with the same name, but one of them had an extra space after the name!!!! I could not see this until I looked at the link table design in access.
I can't believe that you have to be so precise!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom