Linking a field to a folder of information (1 Viewer)

MikeD

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:09
Hi
I have an historical database table that contains information relating to soldiers. Additionally I have many photographs, and other documents appertaining to these individual soldiers stored in folders on my PC hard drive and I would like ideally, to be able to have a link from my database to these other items, so that when I open a a soldiers record I am able to click on a link that will take me to a folder containing the photographs, letters and further documents relating to him.
However this is where I am at a loss as to how to proceed, and would welcome any information as to if, and how I could have this facility, but could it please be described in simple terms as I am not an expert regarding databases, I run Access 2007 by the way, I look forward to any help in this matter, thanks, Mike

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:09
Wont there be pictures related to multiple soldiers???
If you want to open explorer to show the docs/pics something along the lines of:
shell("Explorer.exe D:\Yourfolder\ThisFolder\WhateverPath", vbMaximizedFocus)
In the "On Click" event of the control would open it for you

MikeD

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:09
Thank you for the reply, but I am unsure what you mean by pages of multiple soldiers. What I have is a photograph of a soldier, as a jpeg image, I also may have some documents relating to him as pdf files, and these are all in a folder under his name on my hard drive, what I would like to do is to have a field in my database table that I could have a link that would take me to the folder on my hard drive and open it up. This is where I am unsure how to proceed. Mike

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:09
What I mean is, is one picture always of one soldier? It is likely there are group picture or a picture of a group of people working on a vehicle/tent or something

How to proceed? See my previous post
me said:
If you want to open explorer to show the docs/pics something along the lines of:
shell("Explorer.exe D:\Yourfolder\ThisFolder\WhateverPath", vbMaximizedFocus)
In the "On Click" event of the control would open it for you
Can also do it as a seperate buttong if you prefer

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:09
MikeD

`Create a table in your database called, say tblPhotos with the following fields
PhotoID Autonum PK
PhotoFilePath Text (to contain the full path and file name eg C:\Path\Path\Photo1.jpg)
PhotoName Text (short name)
Description Text (or memo)

Create an unbound form with an unbound combo, the latter having 2 columns being PhotoFilePath and PhotoName sourced from your table. Set the column widths to 0;

On the form, place an unbound image control. In the combo after_update event, insert the code
Me.imgPhoto.Picture = Me.MyCombo.column(1)

PS Access natively has trouble displaying TIFF images

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom