Linking to external table (1 Viewer)

bgmiller

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:09
I have a timesheet database and a Employee database. The timesheet database uses the employee database for information on making timesheets.
The timesheet database runs on our web host. The employee database is constantly updated locally with new employees or changes and uploaded to the web host.
The problem is getting the timesheet database linked to the employee database on the webhost.
I do not use DSN, but setup any connections to the databases using the external host's path.
I can't link the timesheet to the employee databse locally and then upload both databases because the link path will be the local absolute path (c:\myfiles\databases\...) instead of the web hosts's path to the databases (D:\FTP\thissite\Database\...).
Is there a good way to setup the linking wither via VB script or otherwise to work externally?

Another solution maybe to setup a web page to copy the tables from one external database to the other, and not use linking at all, although this seems like an extra step I'd like to avoid.

Thanks
Brian

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm not sure that I understand the question but you can use the UNC path to link the tables and that should avoid any local drive mapping conflicts.

\\server\directory path\db.mdb

bgmiller

Registered User.
Local time
Need local mapping on host

linking the databases using //server/database/...
would work fine on my local server, although when I upload both databases to the host server, it requires a path of D:\FTP\thissite\Database\... to find the linked database.

Would I be able to link using DSN?

bgmiller

Registered User.
Local time
?Sloppy solution

I found one answer on another message board that says, make a decoy copy of the employee database on your local machine that matches the path on the host server. My host path is D:\FTP\thissite\Database\
D: drive is the CD on my local machine. I burned a Cd with the employee database located at the path \FTP\thissite\Database\.
And linked to it from Access. The link went through, althogh I haven't tested it onthe host yet.
These seems like a very sloppy solution, put one that could work.
The problem still being if I ever need to make changes to the database, I'll need to use the CD everytime.

I also tried looking into ODBC connections for the link using a File DSN, although access doesn't seem to allow connecting using the Jet ODBC when you are trying to link a database.

Any other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom