List box and subform (1 Viewer)

123James

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:53
Hi,

I have an unbound form with a list box on it and a subform

How can I filter the data displayed in the subform by the value selected from the list box??

If there are no records in the subform with a matching value from the list, is it possible to have the list value selected appear in the matching field in the subform??

Thanks

doco

Power User
Local time
You need to base the subform on a query. The query would then receive criteria from the list box. EG in the criteria section of a field in your query put =[Forms]![myForm].[myListBox]. Then me.requery in the listbox.change event

HTH

123James

Registered User.
Local time
Nice one!

Thanks for the help doco

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Just an FYI - If you have an unbound main form and only a single subform, then you wouldn't need to use a subform. Just put the unbound controls on the subform.

feathers212

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:53
Sorry to steal this thread, but this is exactly what I have been looking to do.

I have a Main Form with a list box called CategoryList and a subform called UsageSummarysubform. The list box is setup for simple Multi Select, and its values are based on a query called Categories. The subform is based on a query called UsageSummaryQuery. UsageSummaryQuery contains a field called Category.

After reading this post, I set the Category criteria of the UsageSummaryQuery = [Forms]![Main Form]![CategoryList].

I also put the following Event Procedure code together

Private Sub CategoryList_AfterUpdate()

Me.UsageSummarysubform.Requery

End Sub

Proble

Looked great, but then when I tried it out, it doesn't work. Even after selecting a single category from the list box, nothing shows up on the UsageSummarysubform.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Please help!!

Oh, and I am using Access 97.

~Heather

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
When a listbox is set to multiselect you can't reference the list box the same as when you have it as single. And, you can't really use it the same way in a query. You would need to use code to iterate through the selected items and build your query's WHERE clause dynamically.

feathers212

Registered User.
Local time
I see that it works no problem with a single select. That is what I figured was the problem. Before I found this post, I did build a for next loop to capture the criteria:

Code:
Private Sub CategoryList_AfterUpdate()

Dim ctlSource As Control
    Dim strCriteria As String
    Dim intCurrentRow As Integer
    Set ctlSource = Me!CategoryList
    For intCurrentRow = 0 To ctlSource.ListCount - 1
        If ctlSource.Selected(intCurrentRow) Then
            If strCriteria = "" Then
                strCriteria = ctlSource.Column(0, intCurrentRow)
            Else
                strCriteria = strCriteria & " Or " & ctlSource.Column(0, intCurrentRow)
            End If
        Else: End If
    Next intCurrentRow

End Sub

However, I got stuck with how to build this into the query. I haven't had any luck in figuring out how to get the strCriteria string variable into the query.

doco

Power User
Local time
I think it easier to build the query and then refer to the controls from the criteria section of each field of interest. However, there are a couple different ways to build the query on-the-fly.

Code:
***   UNTESED   ***

Dim SQL as String

SQL = "SELECT * FROM MyTable " & _
             "WHERE(((firstField)='" & MyListSelection & "') AND " & _
             "(secondField)='" & MyNextSelection & "'));"

Continue for each criteria...
Either put the string in a RowSource attribute and requery or a QueryDef, ???.

This may be a bit rough but do not visualize what you want to do or what your schema is. But hope this gives you some ideas... :eek:

feathers212

Registered User.
Local time
I don't want to build the query on the fly. The query is already built. I just want to update the criteria for one field of the query.

I need to keep this as simple as possible. I have additional list boxes and subforms on the Main Form that I want to end up doing the same thing with.

doco

Power User
Local time
Well, then. It is best to make reference to your form controls from the criteria section of your query then requery the form with each control event (_Change, _Click or ???)

EG:
Code:
    LIKE [Forms]![myForm].[myListBox] & "*"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom