Loading data to a form and editing it (1 Viewer)

Zorik2

Local time
Today, 08:42
Hi

[FONT=&quot]I built a small system to report hours worked by projects[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]I'm trying to build a form where I can update the reported hours (by projects) several times during the day[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]My solution was to create a form linked to a daily-temporary table that will store the data. At the end of the day, after the last-final update, I would append the records to the permanent table, and delete a temporary table[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Is this an acceptable course of action? Recommended[/FONT][FONT=&quot]?[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]2. As I understand it, the only way to edit data in a table is by using a sub-form).
How should I update the data in the temporary table throughout the day?
How do I the data to the form, update it, and send it back to the temporary table? Only by sub-Form[/FONT][FONT=&quot]?[/FONT]​

Thx

Tieval

Still Clueless
Local time
Today, 06:42
No, you can edit data in a form so just make a form based on the table, select the correct record and edit away, closing the form will save the changes.

Because of this there should be no need for temporary tables.

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:42
There are legitimate reasons for using temporary Tables, but these are few and far apart...and this is not one of them!

As Tieval said, assuming your scenario as given is accurate, you can simply use a regular Form (as opposed to a Subform) that is Bound to your Table, i.e. has your Table as its Record Source. Open your Form, make your changes, and all the heavy lifting, including the saving of the data to the Table, is done automatically by the Access Gnomes! Once again, if the scenario is as simply as has been presented, you can probably use the Forms Wizard to create your Form.

...As I understand it, the only way to edit data in a table is by using a sub-form...

I'm guessing that your confusion about using Subforms for data entry comes from posts you've seen about entering data into Multi-Table Queries. Queries made up of two or more Tables are frequently Read-Only, and the only way to enter data, from a single location or 'form,' for a Multi-Table Query, is to have one Table that is Bound to a Main Form, and each other Table has to be Bound to a Form that is used as the basis for a Subform.

One of the cardinal rules of relational databases is, simply put, 'one Table/one Form.'

Linq ;0)>

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom