Solved Loop through using OpenArg on main form and 2 sub forms deep (1 Viewer)

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 14:18
I simply added a findfirst to the listbox afterupdate to move to the correct spec. I added an event on the forms oncurrent to selected the first choice . I tried this on the onload, that event often fails on a subform because the main form is not loaded yet.

Attachments

• MajP Tarian Drums.zip
    961.5 KB · Views: 104

monk_1987

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:18
That works an absolute treat!!! Seriously, thank you very much! The amount of time I spent trying to sort that out!

MajP

Local time
No problem. There is no way you could have explained that without providing a sample db, that form has a lot going on. Once I saw that the customer_ID did not belong, it made sense. I am guessing that is Welsh, and that made it pretty complicated to figure out.

monk_1987

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:18
Yeah, I was really struggling to find help on google because of it. I genuinely didn't think it was possible as nobody had seemed to ask it before. I'll post the answer in a bit to help other people who might have the same issue.

Yes it is Welsh. I'm impressed you knew! Not many people have heard of Wales, let alone the language. I still need to translate a lot of it. But want to get the structure in place before doing all that stuff.

Thanks again, stay safe!

MajP

Local time
I'm impressed you knew!
I would not be too impressed. It is not what you know, it is how good you are at Googling. Drop a word into Google and get this.
WelshDict.jpg

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I apologize for butting in especially since I haven't been able to make sense of the thread. However, there may be a syntax error in your initial code snippet which might be what caused your problem.

FindIDProcess = Me.StatusListBox.Column(0)
FindIDCustomer = Me.StatusListBox.Column(1)
FindIDSpec = Me.StatusListBox.Column(6)

DoCmd.OpenForm "F_Contact_Details", , , "[IDCONTACT]=forms![F_MainMenu]!FindIDCustomer", , , FindIDProcess
Forms!F_Contact_Details!ContactViewedAt = Now()
Me.RecentContactsListBox.Requery
End If

You have only posted part of the code so there is no way for me to know if I am right but you seem to be using "Me." when referring to controls on the form so I'm assuming that FindIDCustomer is NOT a control on a form but rather a variable defined in this procedure. If that is correct, then
the DoCmd needs to be:

DoCmd.OpenForm "F_Contact_Details", , , "[IDCONTACT] = " & FindIDCustomer, , , FindIDProcess

Although the Forms! reference can be used to reference controls on a form, it CANNOT be used to reference variables in a procedure so the reference would not resolve to the actual customerID and therefore, the customer would not be found.

MajP

Local time
@Pat Hartman not sure of your point but both are completely legit for referencing a control
Resolve before hand
"[IDCONTACT] = " & FindIDCustomer
or have the query resolve
"[IDCONTACT]=forms![F_MainMenu]!FindIDCustomer"

Hower Me would fail in this case since the query would need a fully qualified reference.
"[IDCONTACT]=Me!FindIDCustomer" 'will not work

However, that was not related to the issue anyways.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Please read what I said again. I did NOT say that the reference to a control using Forms!formname!control name was not valid. I SAID that I made an ASSUMPTION (which is always dangerous) that the reverence was NOT to a control.

MajP

Local time
Please read what I said again. I did NOT say that the reference to a control using Forms!formname!control name was not valid. I SAID that I made an ASSUMPTION (which is always dangerous) that the reverence was NOT to a control.
Well I found your post a little strange and confusing. Clearly in post 22# the OP was satisfied with the solution I provided, which was not related to anything in your post in thread #26. So I had to ASSUME you figured something was not correct. So was not really sure the purpose of the advice since the OP's syntax was correct initially.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Did I apologize in advance? Did I mention that I might be out of line?

Just because the poster thinks a solution works, it might not be the best option and it might not actually work. I am not being critical of your suggestion. I didn't look deeply enough. A thread that takes over 20 posts to get to a solution is always convoluted and rarely worth investigating closely which is why I read the original post and saw what I thought was a coding error so I scanned a few others (which didn't seem to mention the potential coding error) and skipped to the end which is pretty much what I said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom