Lost Text box (1 Viewer)

Kinger43

racecar driver
Local time
Yesterday, 20:39
I have a report based on a table. The table field names recently changed (out of my control) and when I updated the report with the new field names I apparently have a reference to an old field name that I cannot find. When I open the report it opens a dialog and asks for a value for that field. I put something in and look through the report but cannot find where the text is showing up. Is there some way I can search a form or a database for field references?

Alansidman

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 19:39
The reason Access is opening the dialogue box and asking you for a value is it cannot find the field referenced in the report in the table. When you put a value in, it just allows the report to proceed. To get rid of the parameter request (dialogue box), you will need to change the text box in your report to reflect the new field name in the table or remove the text box from your report.

Kinger43

racecar driver
Local time
I appreciate the elementary school answer but that's just the problem, I can't find the text box. It isn't plainly visible. Is there any way I can search the database for field references in queries, forms, and reports?

Kiwiman

Local time
Today, 01:39
Howzit

Check the recordsource of the report to see if it is there and also the filter section of the report properties (data). It may also be worthwhile checking the vba to see if you are referencing the old field name there.

Alansidman

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 19:39
Got it. Okay. In Access 2002 and earlier, you can click on Tools, Anlayze, Documentor.

In 2007, on the ribbon, Database Tools, then Documentor

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:39
A few more places to look:

1. Row Source of combo boxes or listboxes
2. Filter property and Order By properties of the form
3. Control Source of all your controls
4. Link Master/Child Fields properties of any subreports

Kinger43

racecar driver
Local time
Thank you Alansidman, that was what I was looking for. The report was being sorted by that field. I think the Grouping and Sorting was the only place I didn't look for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom