Macro Security Options (1 Viewer)

RaunLGoode

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:04
I have written a rather large set of VB Scripts for an Excel spreadsheet that compiles a report from several source files generated from SAP. Over the last few months I have relied on many of the people in this forum to point me in the right direction and help me overcome hurdles. First let me say I cannot adequately express my thanks to everyone for their help, but thank every one of you just the same.
I still have a problem:
I have just found out that this spreadsheet will be distributed widely across the company. I have also been warned that people will want to get into the code and “play with it”. I have been instructed to take steps to ensure the code is protected.

I am not sure what my options are. What I would like is to prevent people from accessing the code without a password.
I have looked at Tools>Protection but I don’t think Protecting the worksheet or workbook will help much. The information in Macro Security seems to address Virus protection more than somebody intentionally or unintentionally modifying the code.

I see references to certified digital signatures and “Trusted Sources”. I read that if I don’t “Obtain a digital certificate from a certificating authority”, It doesn’t really help.

Is this my only option?

Do I get this digital certificate from Microsoft or who? What is the process, cost, time frame etc.

Can somebody give me the skinny on my options or point me in the right direction so I can evaluate my options?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 05:04
For the most part, you should be able to get by with going into the VBA IDE and then right clicking on the project and then select VBA Project Properties. Then, select the Security tab and check the box "locked for viewing" and then put in a password. Obviously the longer the password and with numbers and alpha and maybe even special characters, the better.

RaunLGoode

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:04
That is Exactly what I was looking for.
You top the list of people who have helped me with this project and with my journey into the development environment

unmarkedhelicopter

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:04
Sorry, but Excel is not very secure, anyone with a hex editor could undo that (or if they spent some cash just use a password remover)
The best option would be to run your code from another workbook such that only the data is contained in the book you distribute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom