Making Data Secure (1 Viewer)

YNWA

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:58
Hi, not been on in a while but an old client has got in touch about something and I am a bit unsure of how big this job could be. Wondering you guys could help advise me better on whats the best way to do it...?

The questions
I currently have a Access 2010 database which hold information about our clients, their contracts & prices. It is currently split into 2 dashboards, one for consultants and one for management. At the present time, the consultants dashboard does not allow access to the contract form to the consultant (password protected) as it contains sensitive information in some fields. I would need to allow consultants to access that form and enter data but hide the sensitive fields to be seen by management only.
Also I currently have a price form linked to contract with a query/form displaying total contract cost. I want to amend a few fields in the price form and its associated price query, and amend the cost form also ( I want to have the option to enter quoted prices)

The problem I have is the first issue of only showing specific data.

Currently, the database has 2 dashboards MANAGEMENT (pass protected) and CONSULTANTS.

The CONSULTANTS dash currently does not display the Contact Form as it has sensitive data. However they need the consultant to now access this form and enter data but "specific" fields need to be invisible or starred **** out when they access it.

Is this possible at all?

Would I be better off creating a duplicate of CONTRACT Form and hiding the fields I need to but linking BOTH forms to the same Source? So when they edit/enter data they only see what they need to see?

Any ideas be great.
Thanks

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Back on here YNWA!

You have a couple of options (all with their pros/cons):

1. Change the back colour and font colour of the controls to be the same. And set the Locked property to Yes and the Enabled property to No so that they can't copy and paste.

2. Hide the controls completely.

3. Set the Control Source of the controls to nothing.

4. Change the Record Source of the form to not include those sensitive fields.

You need to see the form, consider the layout and feedback your proposed solutions to the client for an agreement to be made on which approach to go with.

YNWA

Registered User.
Local time
Yeah good to be back.

Would all the options below involve me creating a copy of the Contract Form for Consultants? If so I think option 2 is best.

Is it feasible to have 2 forms linking to and from the same Record/Control Source?

Thanks

Back on here YNWA!

You have a couple of options (all with their pros/cons):

1. Change the back colour and font colour of the controls to be the same. And set the Locked property to Yes and the Enabled property to No so that they can't copy and paste.

2. Hide the controls completely.

3. Set the Control Source of the controls to nothing.

4. Change the Record Source of the form to not include those sensitive fields.

You need to see the form, consider the layout and feedback your proposed solutions to the client for an agreement to be made on which approach to go with.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Would all the options below involve me creating a copy of the Contract Form for Consultants? If so I think option 2 is best.
You be the judge! Once you see the form and conversed with your client you'll know which approach is best.

Is it feasible to have 2 forms linking to and from the same Record/Control Source?
The same way you can have mutliple forms whose record source link to the same query or table. So yes.

YNWA

Registered User.
Local time
You be the judge! Once you see the form and conversed with your client you'll know which approach is best.

The same way you can have mutliple forms whose record source link to the same query or table. So yes.

Thanks.

I think option 2 might be best and see how it gets on.

2 forms both identical, only 1 with hidden fields feeding the same table.

I will give it a go.
Thanks
Will

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
But none of my suggestions made mention of duplicating your form. All point to the same form.

YNWA

Registered User.
Local time
But none of my suggestions made mention of duplicating your form. All point to the same form.

I'm lost.

If I don't duplicate the form, how does Management see all hidden fields but Consultant see only the non hidden?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Ask yourself this. How does management see the form and Consultants don't in the first place? It's the same strategy you would use.

YNWA

Registered User.
Local time
Ask yourself this. How does management see the form and Consultants don't in the first place? It's the same strategy you would use.

They both open same database. Manager clicks Management form, enters password. Consultant clicks Consultants Form.

In here they see another dashboard with selected forms on.

If I then make Contracts form visible to the Consultants, I still can't get head around how I restrict certain fields to hide when a Consultant opens the form as opposed to a manager?

Is it possible to define fields within the password code that are pass protected and if they don't enter the password, these fields stay hidden?

As I said, lost. :-(

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
You're the developer, you know your architecture better than myself.

If you're using password to validate the type of user, use the same password technique to determine whether it's a Manager or Consultant that's opening the Management Form and act accordingly.

YNWA

Registered User.
Local time
You're the developer, you know your architecture better than myself.

If you're using password to validate the type of user, use the same password technique to determine whether it's a Manager or Consultant that's opening the Management Form and act accordingly.

The password option appeals to me.

That would then lead me to ask what the vba would be for such a feature?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Hmmm... aren't you the one who wrote the code for only allowing Managers view the form?

YNWA

Registered User.
Local time
Yeah.

I will give it a go later. Having never done it I don't know if it's a case of having 2 passwords and certain passes show certain fields or whether I have one password to show all and if you cancel you get a basic view of what they need?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
But you've done it!

At the moment (and from what I can infer) you have:
* 2 forms - 1 for Management and 1 for Consultants
* Management form is password protected for viewing by Managers only. A manager enters the password and bam it opens (full view)
* A Consultant tries to open the Management form with his/her password and it doesn't open

What you're trying to do now is:
* 2 forms - 1 for Management and 1 for Consultants
* Management form is password protected for viewing by Managers only. A manager enters the password and bam it opens (full view)
* A Consultant tries to open the Management form with his/her password and bam it opens (partial view)

One form, two users, two passwords.

burrina

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:58
Don't know if it's just that it's late or I'm really tired, but I had a good time following this thread!

Thanks,

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
If appropriate, you might be able to use a tabbed control with one tab having all the sensitive fields on it which could be hidden, or revealed, by using password in one action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom