Making installation of access application with .dll file (1 Viewer)

MarioM

Local time
Today, 09:28
Hello to everyone! 👋

I am brand new in this, I actually register myself here yesterday because i found some great answers while working with access :)

I finished with my access application and now I need to send it to user. I usually send it through the mail but this time application uses .dll file, which I personally made, (something for combining PDF's) so I don't know do I need to make setup.exe, so client can install it together with .dll file. If I do, does anyone know how to do that. I was searching google but I seem not to find clear solution.

Thanks!!

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:28
I'm definitely not an expert on this but normally you register a dll with Windows using a simple command as part of the install process.

However I'm not sure this is essential if you just copy the dll into your application folder and Reference the dll in VBA > Tools > References.
You should then be able to create instances of objects from the dll and call their members from in your code. Worth a try for sure.

I've only done this kind of thing in SQL Server where the dll doesn't need to be registered with the operating system, just imported by SQL Server in to an Assembly. In that situation the dll file is not even required after being imported but that wouldn't be the case in VBA.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:28
I don't claim expertise either, but I know that you can link to external files that weren't installed with Access because they were part of some other package. Therefore, it should be enough to just copy the file to an appropriate folder such as the ...\SYSTEM32\ folder where the other .DLL files reside. The file list generated when you open the VBA window and then follow Tools >> References is dynamic. I know it changes if you separately install some other app that exposes a .DLL of some kind so there is nothing special to do. Just plop it in the right place. I know when replacing missing .DLL files, I've been able to just copy them from another (compatible bitness) system.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:28
I don't claim expertise either, but I know that you can link to external files that weren't installed with Access because they were part of some other package. Therefore, it should be enough to just copy the file to an appropriate folder such as the ...\SYSTEM32\ folder where the other .DLL files reside.

Just because Windows has dlls in System32 doesn't mean it is the best place to put your own dlls. There are exe files there too but you don't put your own exe files in the Windows folders.

Many applications also have dlls in their application folder. If they are only relevant to your own application, they belong with it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:28
The main reason to put them there would be to make it easier to browse for them. I absolutely agree that you can browse in other places. If you have a special library area, that is a candidate, because (if I recall this correctly) the References complex control includes browsing ability. I have to admit that though I have used it, it was a long time ago so the rust flakes will sometimes show.

MarioM

Local time
Today, 09:28
Thank you all for replies.

I tried to make setup with inno setup compiler but it seems to work only on my pc... I am also getting something like warning:

"Cannot update. Database or object is read-only", and when I do Save As, which pop up after first opening application, I am managed to normally work with application but as I said it works only on my PC

Inno setup compiler allows adding some other files (so I add my .dll file) ... I don't get it why is still unrecognized on other PC's ...

So errors on other PC's are:
- read-only application
- still unrecognized .dll file

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom