Manual writing (1 Viewer)

pekajo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:35
Hi,

Can you tell me the best (possibly free) manual writing software for my Access database. I have notes on each field but my boss wants a manual.
Thanks
Peter

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:35
If you have Access as a part of Office, then you already have Word.

The software you already have in-hand is usually better than the software you have to go out and buy.

I've used Word to make manuals for Federal Government software for years. Make that "decades" actually. Works great and is wide accepted.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 23:35
I used Word and Snag It to capture screens. If you like, I can send you a copy.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:35
I second the suggestion for Snag-It, which is incredibly useful as a way to capture images and drop them into open Word documents pretty cleanly.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:35
An alternative you might like to consider is my Nifty Help System:-

I mention it because it might suffice on its own, however failing that, you have a nice easy way of collating the information about your various forms and controls on those forms.

You could browse through the database popping open the help forms, entering your observations/ suggestions.

These notes/comments are then nicely stored in a table along with the name of the form and the control they are relevant to. You could extract the notes as the backbone of any written help system.

If you would like a free copy of the "Nifty Help System" contact me by private message and I will explain how you can get a free copy...

Another alternative is to use a screen recording program and make a video to serve as your manual.

I use screen caste o matic:-

https://screencast-o-matic.com/

which has a free and paid for version. The paid for version is only around $20 a year!

To see examples of the type of videos you can create, see my YouTube channel here:-

• Get the Latest MS Access YouTube's HERE:-

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I been writing these manuals for the last two months and just now you mention this help system of yours...?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:35
Oh I see!

It never occurred to me you were writing manuals for MS Access programs. I don't know why it didn't.

You're welcome to a copy of the help system if you think you can make use of it.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you want some help with formatting, look for a suitable Word template for a manual. It should get you started with something professional looking that includes a table of contents.

A useful tool for capturing screen shots is Snagit. The built in clip feature is good but it doesn't capture drop down menus. You need a professional product for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom