Maximum number of fields in report? (1 Viewer)

Mist

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:13
:confused: I have a forms printing application which is designed to print several different types of form from a 'common' table (containing data common to all forms eg. Name & Address) joined to an 'application' table (containing data NOT common to all forms eg. fevourite colour). => I am using Access 2007

On the 'reporting screen' I have a 'grid' of buttons with each report having a column of buttons, one for each page. eg. p1 of 6; p2 of 6; etc. - the reason for this was to minimise the number of fields in the report query, assuming 200 is the limit.

The application works well but I would like to replace the column of 6-buttons (in this scenario, there are other similar columns of buttons) on the 'reports' screen with a single button which previews/prints all 6 pages

1. "Do I join/link the reports and/or their queries to achieve this?"
Each report in its entirety is over 200 fields of information, but taken
a page at a time the query results in, probably, about 90-160 fields.
2. Is 200 fields the maximum number of fields comprising a query?
3. How do I get stats for my tables without physically counting the fields?

Any advice/suggestions will be sorely welcome. :rolleyes:

----------- Put more simply ----------------------
At present I have a 'common' table with data common to any of a number of reports. Each report has its own table containing its unique data. Each report is between 4 and 6 pages and I have a button to preview/print each page. eg p1 of 6; p2 of 6; and so on.

It works fine but I would like to be able to print all the pages in any particular report by clicking only one button. I want to avoid having too much data in one query - if that is a realistic concern. Some expierienced user will hopefully point me in the right direction. Thanks.

I am using Access 2007

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:13
The maximum number of columns in a table or query is 255. If you have more than that, you most likely have not properly designed your tables. Do some reading on normalization to help yourself understand where you have gone wrong. I've been designing large database applications for 45 years using many database environments and I've never created a table with more than about 100 columns. It is fairly certain that tables with more columns have included repeating groups which should have been placed in "child" tables. This error is frequently caused by folks who are comfortable using Excel and just import their worksheets and call them tables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom