McDonald's unveils first automated location (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:54
As predicted raising the Minimum Wage would actually hurt low-income workers.

"Customers can fully avoid interacting with any humans during their order and pickup."

Get used to no toilets also, after you consume that high-calorie fast junk food in your car, you will no longer have a convenient place to relieve yourself!

Thanks, Liberals!

Can non-human robots be unionized?:unsure:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
With the relative insanity of how liberals tend to put animals and trees before People, I would not be at ALL surprised if at some point liberals start talking about robots' "lived experience" and "personal truth" and "discrimination", etc. I suppose Robots will be one of the new Victim groups and have all kinds of special privileges associated with it, hiring quotas and automatic high grades, non-merit hiring etc., like Americans do now with ethnic "minorities".

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Good point!

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 15:54
this is not going to change anything about anything regarding eating at mcdonalds. if anything, especially regarding jobs, it'll eliminate some yes, but they will have to have humans overseeing the robots just like they do at wal-marts.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:54
The point you are clearly missing is that high minimum wages eliminate jobs that can be handled by computers or robots. The price of the kiosks is pretty low and they are showing up in many chain restaurants. They would have a ROI typically of less than 1 year if they can reduce the staff by 1 person at $15 which = $31200 per year PLUS another 30% for benefits and payroll taxes and they're more likely to reduce staff by 2 people if the restaurant is open for lunch and dinner so they are very profitable.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Liberal logic dictates a paperboy in San Francisco should make 125,000.00 a year because everyone deserves a living wage.

Even if the job is transitory.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Isn't "liberal logic" an oxymoron?
No, only because they keep 1) Inventing, and 2) Re-defining any words that they need to make it make sense.

Think of the vast majority of radical liberal philosophies that you can, that have become mostly or more-wildly popular in the past 3 years.

Now think of the best "justification" or "explanation" that you could, if you were playing devil's advocate--doing the best you could to defend the idea from THEIR side.

Now notice that in order to do so, you've either had to use a bunch of newly invented terms (trying to make tangible reality appear out of whole cloth), or you've had to use terms in their re-defined way, such as Gender, Racism, Supremacy, Phobia, etc.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Liberal logic dictates a paperboy in San Francisco should make 125,000.00 a year because everyone deserves a living wage.

Even if the job is transitory.
SO stupid!
Don't get me started ....

Me:

• Left home prior to my 17th birthday, from a $amily where a new pair of jeans meant the ones my 3 older brothers no longer used
  • Got married young, with no money but a lot of ambition and adaptability
  • Was willing to do a variety of things, not focused on just one. I've stood in dumpsters collecting usable boxes for re-sale as recently as in my low 30's, worked at call centers of all sorts, and tried a lot of gimmicky stuff in my 20's (early Internet-era-Spamming, medical billing software, supplement re-selling, you name it)
  • Was willing to move from hometown in Wisconsin to Tulsa OK to go to college
  • Decided to move from Tulsa to San Diego to go to law school to improve my lot in life
  • Willing to admit when San Diego was too expensive for me and moved to Phoenix
  • Tried 2 other metro areas but bounced back to Arizona
  • Total living by age 43: Six States
  • "Ability to be mobile" ?? What is anyone talking about, 90% of my moves were during the first half (or below) of my current income. At all times I had nothing more than the discipline to save for a CHEAP u-haul, loaded it myself (in several cases an entire truck literally by myself), lived paycheck to paycheck, and still found myself quite able to re-locate.
At NO time did I say to myself "I like living in [insert name of foolishly ritzy place I couldn't afford], the government needs to force everyone to sell me homes and give me salaries at a level I'm not really worth on the job market".

At ALL times did I take personal responsibility to move where I could afford to live.

Probably half the humans currently trying to reside in the Bay Area should just take ownership of their lives and move a cheaper place - Texas or Arizona, or even a REALLY cheap place, which the USA has in abundance - probably at least 30 states are places where you can be OK with a family income of $50-60k. Really comfortable on $70k. Rich on $85k.

You live where your wage takes you, you don't demand a wage for wherever you want to live. Liberal Logic pretends the first half of the sentence simply can't be done.

According to liberals, we should all just move to Singapore and demand a minimum wage of $175,000 to make sushi.
Oh wait, Asians aren't that stupid, they wouldn't pass such a law...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
That's the American Dream Issac and anyone with any gumption can do it. You don't even have to be uneducated unless you want to be unless you are a victim. For some people, it is harder without a teacher but libraries are everywhere and they are free. They are also heated in the winter and cooled in the summer. Believing you are a victim, prevents you from actually improving your lot in life. You keep waiting for others to do it for you but handouts are never going to set you free. We've developed quite a victim class here where only slightly more than 50% of the population pays income tax.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
But as far as McDonalds go, I'm having trouble seeing why the latest automation is such a big deal.
I would think the far bigger change was when McDonalds finally figured out there was no reason to have front-line workers when a computer could take an order. That right there eliminated about 80% of the need for front-line, I would think

Now they have this new thing that eliminates a SMALL portion of the back-line....that portion that does what, just physically moves the food from the backline over to the counter?? Doesn't seem like a big deal to me - somebody still has to stand there putting the sandwich together, do they not?

The ordering kiosks, now that was a smart decision - a computer can easily replace the frontline workers, especially when it has the feature to remove, add, or re-size things like pickles, onions, ketchup and mayo, which was about the only thing frontline workers' judgment calls were needed for I think?

Now as long as Americans shift appropriately, for x-number of frontline workers replaced, we get x-number of high school students steered towards being the guys who program the machines, we're OK. Throw in a little birth control and things may come out all right.

How long that will work, I'm not sure. At some point machines may make us too efficient. Or maybe society will then shift and adapt again - this time, valuing whatever it is that people create with human thought and art in such a high way that everyone does that.

Somehow the economy will probably adapt. But I'm not really sure.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
x-number of high school students steered towards being the guys who program the machines
Do you actually think that is viable? Maybe, you should run for office.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Do you actually think that is viable? Maybe, you should run for office.

Not really, because the process of becoming that takes actual WORK. That four-letter word that can be painful, tiring, and hard.

Not until a new generation of parents raises a new generation of kids who are taught things like work, discipline, obedience, a bit of conformity, etc.

It all must start by as many of us as possible sending our kids to good schools, so they grow up to be disciplined adults, who raise disciplined kids, who........

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Being a competent programmer takes more than actual work. Just like being an architect take more than the ability to draw a straight line without a ruler.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Being a competent programmer takes more than actual work. Just like being an architect take more than the ability to draw a straight line without a ruler.

Well, what I mean with the word WORK is basically all of the sequential, disciplined, humble learning and practice.

Whatever you call the opposite of being an overnight Youtube success. We take what we can get these days, principles-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom