mdw file (1 Viewer)

cfp76

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:00
I have been working on a database for quite some time but it had its own mdw file. I took a leave from work and upon my return, and opening of my file, I am getting the following:

You do not have the necessary permissions to use the E:CFP_Projects/AccessDBA/kpi_reporting.mdb object. Have your system administrator or the person who created this object establish the appropriate permissions for you.

I.. am the administrator. And.. I.. created it- no clue what is going on. any insight is welcome.

cfp

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:00
Are you the administrator of the system on which the E drive resides or just the DBA?

This looks much like a Windows permissions problem. Any of several things might have happened.

1. During your absence, your account was removed from a group through which you originally obtained your permissions.

2. Someone mucked the permissions list by removing your group from it.

3. Someone mucked the permissions list by removing specific permission checkmarks from it.

4. Someone mucked the permissions of a higher-level folder by removing the "Traverse Folder" permission from one of the parents of your folder.

5. Someone mucked the permissions of the folder wherein your .MDB and .MDW files resided.

cfp76

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:00
what is sad - all very likely possibilities... UGH

any idea how to fix it?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:00
If you are not the systems administrator, you probably cannot.

You need the following permissions in the folder that contains the MDB file and the MDW file:

Using only the aggregate permission set: You need either Modify or Full Control to the folder, inherited to its member files and child folders. You need Read on all parent folders.

Using the advanced permission set: You need Traverse Folder on all parent folders. You need List Folder/Read Data, Read Attributes, Read Extended Attributes, Create Files/Write Data, Create Folders/Append Data, Write Attributes, Write Extended Attributes, Delete Subfolders and Files, and Delete on the folder containing the DB files. You do not usually need Read Permissions (though this usually doesn't hurt.) You do not need Change Permissions, Take Ownership, or Synchronize.

Mechanically, you right-click on the folder to see the drop-down, then select Properties. A tab on the Properties Dialog Box will be Security. You can see a list of groups and users in the upper half of the box. You can see a list of the basic permissions in the lower half of the box. If you are in a group, you can add the group name to the upper half, then select that group and check the Allow permissions for either Modify or Full Control. OR after your group is in the list, you can click the Advanced button and check the Allow permissions as noted earlier on THAT dialog box. When you select the advanced permissions, set the scope using the "Apply to" dropdown so that you get "This folder, subfolders, and files."

The catch is that if you aren't in the volume administrator, systems administrator, or domain operator groups, you might not be able to check the required Allow boxes. If you don't have Read Permissions permission, you won't even be able to SEE any of this.

Oh, also check for some smart-ass to have instead checked a Deny column for you in the folder or one of its parents. In that case, you really want to UNCHECK that box. Same limitations apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom