Memo field is truncating at 255 characters (1 Viewer)

randolphoralph

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:03
I am trying to generate a query and have noticed that the Memo field Comments is being truncated at 255 characters.

I have searched and can not find a work around. I wanted to see if anyone else has run across this and knows of a possible workaround.

Here is my SQL for the query.

Code:
SELECT Employee.[EmployeeUniqueID], Employee.[DateofWork], Employee.[Comments]
FROM Employee
WHERE (((Employee.[EmployeeUniqueID])=[Enter Employee ID:]) AND ((Employee.[DateofWork]) Between [Enter Start Date of Work:] And [Enter End Date of Work:]))
GROUP BY Employee.[EmployeeUniqueID], Employee.[DateofWork], Employee.[Comments];

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Check out this thread from a different site, maybe it will provide some insight.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Yesterday, 17:03
What happens if you remove the GROUP BY clause? It isn't doing anything useful and it seems possible the DBEngine would convert the memo to text if you do a GROUP BY.

randolphoralph

Registered User.
Local time
The entire Group by clause or just hte Group by for the Comments field?

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Try changing the "group by" for the comments to "first"... Taken from the link I posted above.

randolphoralph

Registered User.
Local time
Changing the Comments field from Group by to First fixed the issue. I am now seeing all the characters for that field.

Ya'll rock! I have been working for hours on this one problem and driving me crazy.

Thanks again :)

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Great! I am glad you got it working. :D

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 17:03
The other way to do it (and safer because FIRST is a little iffy), is to create your query with the criteria/grouping first and then, in another query join that query to the table, and selecting the memo field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom