Message box appears at designated time?? (1 Viewer)

MadisonWyatt

Local time
Today, 21:25
There's a few things I want to ask about, but I suppose this topic will be first. I searched for my topic on these forums, but didn't find anything. If I missed a thread, please point it out. Thanks to theDBguy, I added a button on my database's main menu (on the front-end) to backup the back-end. This will make it easier for the database's primary users to do backups themselves if I'm no longer working for the company. Currently, I'm doing the backups. I even added (stole) a button that opens up the directory where the BE backups are stored, so the users can see when the last backup was made.

So my question, is there a way to have a message box pop up on the user's screen, let's say at 5:00 PM, to remind the user it's time to click that backup button? I know there's auto-backups every time you close the db or using something like Task Scheduler, but I'm worried if a backup happens when another user is in the middle of editing/saving a record on a form. I don't have the skills (and I clearly don't have skills of a dba or programmer) for something so advanced. To me, anyway. Plus, the company's IT guy isn't in-house.

Let me know if it's possible and I'll check back in on Monday since I'll be clocking out around 5/5:30 PM MDT today. In case anyone replies before I leave.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 11:55
You can copy the db if someone is still in it.
Access auto-saves record if editing.
If you dont want users in the db at backup time, run backup at 9pm, or midnight.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:55
I would recommend the back up product offered at www.fmsinc.com They have a number of useful, reasonably priced tools to support Access.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:55
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

If you're using the backup routine from my website, then you shouldn't have to worry about whether users are currently using the BE when the backup process starts. However, I would like to make sure your backup folder is actually on the local machine, correct? If not, then I hope you use my backup routine to create the backup file on the local machine and then use another routine to copy or move it to the network folder (if that's where you're keeping all the backup copies).

As for reminding the users using a MsgBox, that can only be done using a Form Timer Event. Unfortunately, there may be some unwanted side effects to using a Timer Event. It all depends on what the code will do when the Timer Event fires. If only to display a Message Box, maybe it won't be too bad.

Just my 2 cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom