Methods of Mass Mailing (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 10:11
all,

can I get some input on how I might be able to use a MySQL database to perform mass mailings to people that have accounts with my website? Right now the only way I know to send mail is through the mail() function in PHP. But what about if you have a message that you want to send to everyone and every email address that you have in your online database? Does anyone have any experience with this? and if so, how did you accomplish it? thanks!

Yesideez

Local time
Today, 16:11
If you've got all their details in a table you can loop through and send them one by one if you've got a large number or if you've only got a small number you can BCC them in on one email but be warned that some web hosts don't take too kindly to mass emailing and some will suspend accounts if they detect large numbers of emails being fired as they won't know if its on purpose or whether a script has been exploited.

Best speak with them first and see where you stand.

Take a look at the PHPMailer class - I use it all the time instead of building up the mail() headers manually, saves loads of time.

bparker1084

Local time
Today, 08:11
I use PHPmailer and a script that uses pagination so it sends 100 emails at a time. So we have 20 pages to load. I've wondered if you could set up an auto-refresh to load the next page... A meta-refresh or something?

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:11
Third party solution?

http://mailchimp.com/pricing/

Free if you can live with their tag on the bottom of the email.

DIY scripts run the risk of getting your mail server blacklisted if you're bulk mailing.

EDIT: I just answered a thread that was over three years old - crap. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom