Microsoft access run time error 3044 (1 Viewer)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:25
Ace,

you provide too little information. Have you relinked the tables as advised on numerous occasions? You get an error? What error? I assume the same as before because you haven't relinked.

It is years since I've used '97 but the linked table manager will be off one of the menu options at the top.

Confirm you have relinked, then tell us what the error is and perhaps we can help further.

@JHB, DB_OPEN_DYNASET and dbOpenDynaset both produce the same value (2). Think DB_OPEN_DYNASET is a throwback to very early Access.

Ace Brendon

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:25
So after a long time of working around I was able to to open up the linked table manager by using the shift key to open the database file first and then coming to Tools--> Addins --> Linked Table Manager....

Now this opened a new windows for me and it showed me that all my files were hooked upto the Z:

So what I did... I selected all and checked the option of prompt for new location always....

After that I got the error message stating that

" you do not have sufficient access to the folder C:\Documents & Settings\Jimmy\My Documents\*.mdb. See your administrator for access to this folder"

I am the administrator onto this system and I have also given full control to my documents and also shared it as well with everyone...

So this is what I am on now....

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
it's probably because you are using a version of access that is so old.

Suggest use the import manager to link to the tables in your c based database. Assuming you can do this, the tables you link to will have a 1 appended to the end of the name. This is OK.

Then for each table right click (I think) to edit the table name and remove the 1. You will be prompted with a message something like 'there is already a table named ...., do you want to replace it?' - choose yes.

The reason for doing it this way is if you just delete the linked tables to the z based db any queries will cease to work and you will need to rebuild them all.

Oh - and don't forget to take a copy of the db before starting in case you take a miss step.

If the above doesn't work, you will need to find a way of creating a mapped Z drive that matches the existing path

Ace Brendon

Registered User.
Local time
I tried it with right click but i do not have the option to rename...

It gives me properties design and open and if i go to properties there also is no option to rename.....

So we are stuck again....

My second system which also has access 97 and windows xp runs good....

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
perhaps its a double click - either way you need to find a way to rename the table. Or google something like 'access 97 rename table'

Ace Brendon

Registered User.
Local time
Have tried that as well but does not help.... Sorry did not post that previously...

If i double click it will open the Transaction / Values

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
so use google. I know it is possible to change the name, but I haven't used it for over 10 years and can't remember how it is done.

Ace Brendon

Registered User.
Local time
I understand that what are you saying.... And I am sorry for taking a huge amount of time of yours....

Lets Say if I start with a new data base file and then import the tables from the other system ....

Will that solve the purpose....

Just an assumption if you can help ?

Ace Brendon

Registered User.
Local time
So what i did was I created a new database and then went to new onto the database window and selected New--> Link Tables --> Gave it the location of the shared database (which i shared from other working system on which the database is working) --> Select All --> Ok...

Now we have all the tables which are same as the other one....

Now from here if you can help me with the Linked table Manager as when i try to click link table manager a new window comes up for which I have attached the screenshot....

Please let me know what needs to be done from here on.....

Attachments

• Linked_Table_Manger.zip
    76.2 KB · Views: 155

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A good idea, but leaves me confused. It looks like you have the same linked path to the z folder. But if you can open a table ok it sounds like you do have a z drive.

if not, start a new db, go to linked table manager and link to all the tables in your c drive db where the data is, not your old db where the linked tables are.

Then from this new db, import from your old db all the other objects (queries, modules, reports and forms - plus macro's?)

You will also need to inspect the old db for various settings since clearly there are some to run a form or code on open. Then apply those settings in the new db. In modern versions this would be file>options>current database, but cannot remember where in '97.

BeeJayEff

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:25
Have you checked where Z: is mapped to on your colleagues systems which do work ?

Ace Brendon

Registered User.
Local time
So now i would go ahead and start the linking and see if it gets linked to the C: and not Z:

Will keep you posted....

Thanks for helping me sort it out

Ace Brendon

Registered User.
Local time
All righty.....

So here we go....

CJ and everyone out here who helped me....

I would like to give a huge applaud of thanks to everyone and thanks a lot to CJ who stuck with me till the very end....

I was able to successfully link all the tables to the C: drive where i had created the new tables and then once i linked them and the tables got refreshed i was able to launch the database file correctly....

Thanks to everyone here....

Kudos for CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom