Migrate from Access to PHP and MySQL (1 Viewer)

The_Vincester

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:07
Would this be a difficult thing to do... or is there an "easy" way to do it?

I'll love to turn my app into a web based app! Are there any helpful GUIs that would assist me in doing such a thing?

Here am I just getting my access application to work how I want, and now I want to move on... :rolleyes:

DanG

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:07
Here is my experience with that...

Yes, you can (as I understand) import your current "tables" from Access to MySQL whithout too much difficulty (I haven't done it myself though).

But Access and MySQL/PHP are two very different disiplines. First you have to learn HTML/CSS (not hard, I've already done that). Then on to PHP (I am currently on my 1st book, my VBA experience comes in handy) and finally you have to learn MySQL (I'm not there yet, but if you have a solid foundation is Access I don't think it will be that hard).

It is part of the books I am into but haven't got there in detail yet, but a solid foundation in web security seems to be in order as well.

I know you can also put your Access backend on the web, but I still think you hae to use PHP or ASP as the frontend and then you are limited in the amount of users you can have, so I don't see much point in going that route myself.

I hope this gets you going in the right direction.

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 17:07
It can be done very simple as mysql uses SQL like any other program including the create table all ya need do is format the sql so mysql can use it which in a lot of cases is simpler than acess.

I used to run a site that I built a small VB project that linked my access db and the online mysql db so I could add and update items in the online db depending on their state in the access db.

Getting access to work with a mysql (ODBC) Link is hard work but if things are setup right then it will work (Main problems being data types)

somashekhark

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:37
Copying OLE Data [in MS-Access] to External file using PHP

We have saved image in the Access database as OLE Object. It is showing “Microsoft Photo Editor 3.0 Photo / Package” in the table. We want to save these pictures as external file in Jpeg format. Please help us to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance

mikebaldam

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:07
Use Access as a front end for your MySQL which is better than using a mdb online for a db for larger amounts of users.

Use a ODBC Connection to setup Access to MySQL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom