Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:53
I didn't know this!

Extract:-
"Sometimes old dogs can learn new tricks."

BTW Mike, I note your website uses markdown formatting.

I thought I should mention you can copy your text into ChatGPT and ask it to provide markdown tags.

Last edited:

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:53
I didn't either. But then again, I mostly hide navigation buttons in my forms.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 09:53
I loved that. One thing we all need is the humility to admit was can still learn new things.

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 12:53
Colin's comment is correct that longer caption text does not widen the space to display the whole text which is unfortunate. Nice tip though.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Can I take credit for this great idea:) We were at the preview of Access 2007 in the spring of 2006 at the "kitchen table" meeting in Redmond when I suggested this to one of the guys on the team. He loved it and the rest is history.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:53
I loved that. One thing we all need is the humility to admit was can still learn new things.
Yes. Which is the same as we admitting we or should I say, I don't know everything.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
In case anyone was wondering, my comment about this feature was on Mike’s web page. It was new to me as well. I’m always happy to admit I don’t know everything … in fact my signature line is based on that point

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Oooh, just for once I'm early to a party, I've used this function for ages!
Can I have a biscuit please :giggle:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The feature is nice to have (thanks @Pat) but given that its so obscure that most of us have never noticed it before, I do wonder how many end users will even notice what the navigation caption label is.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There are many of these obscure features. This is the second one this week that we've talked about. The first was the hidden indexes that Access creates for FKs but that SSMA seems to ignore when converting the database.

I happen to use the navigation captions one all the time. It is extremely useful if you have nested forms because it becomes very easy to see which recordset you are scrolling.

Maybe its time to make a presentation of the "little" things you don't know about Access. I mentioned yet another one in passing when I answered a question earlier and that one is application parts. Another no big deal. Just an easy way to include useful custom objects in each new app.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Oooh, just for once I'm early to a party, I've used this function for ages!
Can I have a biscuit please :giggle:
1706046742486.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom