Missing Libraries - Solution options (1 Viewer)

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:22
Hello all,

I have a question regarding how to handle missing libraries...

I converted an old Access '97 database application to 2003 but it does not work on PCs that only have the 2003 version installed because of a missing library. The library in question is "Microsoft DAO 2.5/3.5 Compatibility Library". I tried using "Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library" but no dice. If I manually add the library file to the correct folder, everything works. Although it works, I would rather not rely on someone remembering to add the file for new users/PCs. Is there not a way I could include them in the application itself?

I also just tried 2010 to see if that shows any improvement. It's even worse as it is missing yet another library reference called "utility.m4a" I think it was.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated! (it's been too long since I've worked in Access but it is starting to come back ...slowly:) )

-Sean

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Yesterday, 23:22
Not the pesky 'Dice Not Found' error. :)
No but seriously, what does, "no dice" mean? What is the specific problem when you try to add a reference to DAO 3.6? And you're saying that problem was solved by simply moving the dao360.dll to the project folder?
Mark

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
Not the pesky 'Dice Not Found' error. :)
Yeah, I guess I wasn't being very descriptive with the error I received :)

What happens is that it will stop and the debugger will highlight an undeclared variable somewhere and state "Library not found" followed by a prompt to halt an in progress macro. I know the solution sounds simple (to declare the variable), but this program is huge and I don't know what the variable should be sometimes (there will be hundreds) or if it will even work correctly after.

The file I would move into the user's C drive (who did not have Access '97 installed) is the "DAO2535.TLB" file (the "Microsoft DAO 2.5/3.5 Compatibility Library" file). Once I copy that file over, it will then work. EDIT: The problem being though is that this file is not included in Access 2003 installations (only Access '97) so it will not run for them.

Thanks!

Last edited:

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:22
If you have the time it would be very worth while to convert your 97 database to something more current, if 2003 is what the office is now using I would upgrade it as soon as possible, there are many many improvements from office 97 to office 2003 especially with Access.

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
Hi DJkarl,

I hear and appreciate your input! The problem is however that this application is already going to be included in another major application (web based/SQL server) set to be released in a year or two. The group has no money or resources to upgrade (I'm just volunteering to see where I can help because I used to work with Access quite a bit - my boss does not want me to spend too much time on this).

To add to the issue, our IT department has stated that they would like to have '97 removed as it is no longer supported (so this group is really kind of a victim of bad timing).

Basically, they just need this to work as is for another year or two until the new system is ready. I'm thinking that manually installing (i.e. copying the files to the appropriate folder) the required libraries for those PCs that do not have them may be the only solution (given the time frame).

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:22
Hi DJkarl,

I hear and appreciate your input! The problem is however that this application is already going to be included in another major application (web based/SQL server) set to be released in a year or two. The group has no money or resources to upgrade (I'm just volunteering to see where I can help because I used to work with Access quite a bit - my boss does not want me to spend too much time on this).

To add to the issue, our IT department has stated that they would like to have '97 removed as it is no longer supported (so this group is really kind of a victim of bad timing).

Basically, they just need this to work as is for another year or two until the new system is ready. I'm thinking that manually installing (i.e. copying the files to the appropriate folder) the required libraries for those PCs that do not have them may be the only solution (given the time frame).

Ah I see, well then you are stuck I suppose, to make life a little easier you could write a script or bat file to copy the necessary files to the proper folders from a shared location on a server, might save you a little time, but depends on how many users you have.

yippie_ky_yay

Registered User.
Local time
you could write a script or bat file to copy the necessary files to the proper folders from a shared location on a server
That was a great idea DJkarl! I was thinking that I might even be able to run a check on startup to see if it exists on the user's machine, if not copy/paste etc. Unfortunately I could not implement this solution because the user would need admin rights (they don't) on the machine to copy the file to the necessary location.

Since posting, I have bit the bullet and converted all the legacy code and am happy to report that the "no dice" error is no longer thrown! :)

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Yesterday, 23:22
Well, yippee-ky-yay! ;) Nice job!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom