Missing Reference (1 Viewer)

MICHELE

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:22
Some of the computers that I have loaded Office2003 have a missing reference. The missing reference is Microsoft Office XP Web Components. I have gone in to try to set this reference but it is not there on some computers. Is this a library that I need? Why would it be on some and not others? What can I do to fix this?
I did submit a post a few days ago about this but that was before I knew which reference was messing things up.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Michele

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:22
Why would it be on some and not others?

It's a registry entry sort of thing. Every registry is specific to the machine on which that registry file exists. The registry on each system is configured by the installation process. In this case, we are talking about the MS OFFICE installation process. If someone used different options for each machine's installation process, you would get different registry options.

ALSO... if any special libraries are used that are Windows specials - like (two common ones: comdlg32.ocx or .dll, comctl32.ocx or .dll), they did not come from the MS OFFICE kit, so would not be in the reference part of the registry unless something else installed them already.

In your specific case, the Web components are part of the optional items menu, so I would GUESS that the difference is whether someone did a "standard" or "typical" or "minimum" or "full" or "custom" install.

But the good news is that if you have the MS OFFICE kit, you can re-install it on any machine with this problem. MS OFFICE allows you to add optional components (or remove them, for that matter) without having to do a full product re-install. Remember to choose "custom" so you can select the web components stuff.

MICHELE

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:22
Thank you for replying and the information.

So I need to go to each computer with the missing reference and reinstall Microsoft2003, but do custom install instead of automatic, then make sure the web coponents are there? I don't even remember ever using those web components. Could I just unselect that Web Components Reference on my db then copy it to the network so that everyone else will use that version of my db without that reference?

Michele

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:22
Could I just unselect that Web Components Reference on my db then copy it to the network so that everyone else will use that version of my db without that reference?

Not recommended unless you know for a fact that you don't use the web components library. Which, trust me, is a hard thing to know for sure. Do you have any .ADP stuff? Odds are, you use that module.

You could TRY to remove the reference on your system and then close and re-open the .mdb file. Try to recompile and save all the code. You'll find out real fast if you need something from the web components reference module. If it works, then I guess your solution is good. If not, then you have a few machines to visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom