Mouse and Keyboard not working after installing new web cam (1 Viewer)

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:50
Dear All

I am trying to help my brother resolve a problem with his pc. My niece installed a new web cam and since then the mouse and keyboard have not worked.

The keyboard does not seem to be getting any power at all, it flashes quickly when first switching the power on at the mains then appears to be totally dead, the lights for the caps lock etc are not lit and none of the keys respond. The mouse (laser mouse) is lit but the cursor is not shown on the screen. I have checked for all the obvious problems such as loose connections and re-booting the pc but this does not seem to have made any difference.

I managed to get hold of another mouse. The new mouse works occasionaly but is flaky sometimes responsing sometimes not. It complains that the USB device is not recognised.

I did notice when logging into the pc and trying to troubleshoot the problem(s) that it was complaining about a missing network adapter in the device manager. My intial thought was to de-install this and re-install but of course it then wanted to connect to the internet to do this and at the time this was not possible as I did not have a working keyboard to type in a username and password in order to connect to the internet as my brother has AOL as his internet service provider.

He has now managed to get hold of another keyboard which he says is responding but it still not working properly.

Can anyone suggest what may have gone wrong here and some steps for me to try and troubleshoot the problems.

Many Thanks

Hay

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:50
My first thought is can you uninstall the web cam and get everything to work again? If so then how about downloading the latest driver from the web cam website before attempting another install?

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
My first thought is can you uninstall the web cam and get everything to work again? If so then how about downloading the latest driver from the web cam website before attempting another install?

That's something I hadn't thought about doing actually and seems a good suggestion. I will give this a try tomorrow when I am next round at my brothers house and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the response.
Hay

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Today, 15:50
...connect to the internet as my brother has AOL as his internet service provider.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: oh no!!

have you tried this with a ps2 mouse and keyboard opposed to straight up usb peripherals?

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
:eek::eek::eek::eek: oh no!!

have you tried this with a ps2 mouse and keyboard opposed to straight up usb peripherals?

The second mouse I tried had a USB connection, however I did have an extension to connect to it to try in the ps2 port. The original mouse connector is a ps2. When I plugged it in there I was getting no response at all with either mouse.

I have yet to test the second keyboard as my brother got this from a friend after I had intially looked at itbut he tells me it is responding.

Thanks
Hay

craigcain

Registered User.
Local time
You could always use the on screen keyboard (all programs/accessories/accessibility) to input data using your mouse

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom