Moving Access DB from one system to another (1 Viewer)

msp

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:54
Hi,

I have an access database with user name and passwords. I am planning to move it from one computer to another. I know it is not as simple as copy and paste. Does anyone have any recomendations on how to move the access database keeping the user names and passwords. I am running access 2000. Thanks in advance of help.

Navyguy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:54
MSP

I move my DB between computers a lot. What I usually do is have a separate file that it resides in and I copy the file(s) over completely. This includes the .mdb, .mdw and any related .doc, .xls file(s) that are associated with the .mdb. After copying the file over you need to change the properties of the .mdb to remove the “Read Only” and create a new shortcut with the new target path through your .mdw file.

There may be an easier way, but I find this works for me. I have not had any problems when copying/moving using this procedure with respect to losing the user names/passwords etc. One other thing is that you may have to relink you mdb to your other .doc, .xls, etc as their path names may now be incorrect unless you have used UNC (I think that is the correct term) path names to the documents.

msp

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:54
Thanks NAVGUY

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom