MS Access and Office 365 (1 Viewer)

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:08
Hi,

We have an access database that is mission critical to our small business. We use to track orders etc. It has been stored on Dropbox for over a year which has worked fine as only 1 person has been accessing it. Unfortunately we now have a few employees and need to move to a solution that offers multi-user access locally on-premise and remotely via the web (as Dropbox offers).

Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best option?

I imagine, as an existing Office 365 E3 customer, the best solution is to publish it to Office 365 but are there any pitfalls to avoid (the database was written by me but it does include macros/vb etc) as I have never done this before. Specifically I am worried about loss of functionality.

Other solutions I have considered are introducing a file server on premise (more cost), introducing an AWS (we are existing AWS customers) File server (costs) or maybe using AWS Workspaces but ultimately I want to minimise any costs and as a 365 user I would like to see if this is suitable.

Thanks

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 06:08
put it on a network folder as a split db. Then everyone can use it.

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
I mean thats the cheapest/easiest but one employee would lose access as they don't work on site.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:08
If the remote worker can be set up to use terminal server / citrix / even a basic remote desktop then you can simply use normal access hosted locally centrally.

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
I assume by these responses Office 365 has nothing to offer?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:08
If you want to publish to Sharepoint as a Web Database you will find that all the VBA needs to be converted if even possible to data macros.
I've not tried this but it is apparently very messy, and loses functionality without you learning how to re-invent the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom