MS Homegroup, WindowsXP, and Ubuntu (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Yesterday, 23:27
For College, I bought my daughter a Sony Vaio 64bit Laptop with Windows 7. Well she came home for the summer and we needed to transfer some files only to discover the Windows 7 computer could not "see" the other networked computers. The other network computers can "see" the windows 7 computer but won't connect.

I am posting here, as this is more of a rant then a request for assistance. We fumbled around for a while to no avail. An internet search generated a lot of hits. Obviously it a serious problem. Some advice appeared to be valid, but the success rate of implementing the advice seemed problematic and very low.

Now for my conspiracy theory. Did MS quietly introduce Homegroup to further restrict Windows as a proprietary system that can't communicate with computers running other operating systems?:confused:

Complete Guide to Networking Windows 7 with XP and Vista

File and Folder sharing between Windows 7 & Ubuntu 10.10

How to print from Windows 7 on Maverick Samba/CUPS server?

Info for Accessing Shares on a Windows 7 Computer <- Evidently they had success, I'll have to look into their solution. But that won't solve my Windows XP connection issue.

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 23:27
I had similar issues, but ironically only with Windows 7 64 bit. It is indeed a pretty common issue from my research as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom