Multiple Backends (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:21
Don't know what Dave did, but for my biggest project I had a BE version table that I used to look up the version numbers acceptable to the FE file. I had an opening form that was a dispatcher and in its Form_Open routine I opened a recordset to read the BE version table. It was enough to have it as a read-only connection. Since the dispatcher never closed until you actually exited the DB, I just left the recordset open. That was how I created a persistent BE connection.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 19:21
Don't know what Dave did, but for my biggest project I had a BE version table that I used to look up the version numbers acceptable to the FE file. I had an opening form that was a dispatcher and in its Form_Open routine I opened a recordset to read the BE version table. It was enough to have it as a read-only connection. Since the dispatcher never closed until you actually exited the DB, I just left the recordset open. That was how I created a persistent BE connection.
That is my normal process too, but I'm always interested in alternative ways to do the same thing...

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:21
How do you go about that Dave?

I only reconnect tables if the backend has changed - but if it has, then I think the existing permanent connection will not be useful. What I actually do is this.

I have a table called "LinkedTables" which includes a list of the tables I expect to connect in each front end. At startup I check that all of these tables are connected correctly. If I have added new backend tables, or want to connect to a different backend, this test fails.

So then I first drop all the connected tables, and start over. I just found it easier to recreate all the tables, as a belt and braces approach. Sometimes I am changing from Jet tables to SQL server tables, and vice versa. I don't know if a refreshlink would work in that case, but the deletetable/createtable always works, because the code just builds new tabledefs.

So having deleted all the tables, I then iterate my table of linkedtables, and relink all the tables.
If I don't find them all, at the end I report the error and stop.

After the first table is connected, I have a little sub that creates a recordset to the first table (I mean it only needs to create the recordset once)
if tempRST is nothing then set tempRST = currentdb.openrecordset(tablename)

Then I re-create the links to all the other tables.
Now all the tables are connected, I can do whatever I really want to do to maintain the permanent connection (open a query, open a form, open a different recordset, etc), and then close the tempRST object I just opened.

does that make sense?

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
does that make sense?
It does. I had a similar re-linker setup for the SQL Server BE I maintained while I was abroad...without the recordset bit. I had a hidden startup form that was bound to a user table for that purpose.

Appreciate your response!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have an app that is sold to the public which can switch from ACE to SQL Server. I keep a table to enable the swap. The code deletes all the tables from the table list table and then links them also from the table list table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom