Multiple Keyword Search (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 19:11
This is my first post here so bear with me.

What I am trying to accomplish is a mulitple search engine for records on one table in my database.

Basically what I want to accomplish is what user listo accomplished here http://www.access-programmers.co.uk...eferrerid=11730 but didn't explain how.

I will have a form with a text box, if the user inputs "Macromedia Flash" and hits the search button, I was all records with the words "macromedia" or "flash" to be in the search results.

example results would be:

Macromedia Flash MX
Macromedia Dreamweaver MX
Flash maker v3.5

all because they contain at least one of those two words.

He basically had the code I want, but didn't supply it in that post, as he was asking a question.

Please help.

Vassago

ListO

Señor Member
Local time
Today, 00:11
You're right, I was asking a question, and the code was irrelevant to that one.

I'll make a disclaimer first that I think this is kind of crude programming, and feels rather brute-force, but it does work. Maybe someone else will have some sweet refinements...

This code is called from a form on which resides an option group called AndOrButton which is 1 if AND, 2 if OR. There's also an option group called SearchTypeButtons which returns 1 to do a search among a description field, 2 to do a search among a cross-reference field, and 3 to do a search among the SoundID field. A button called SearchButton triggers this code.

The code builds a search filter string which is bound to a textbox on the form called SearchKW. There must be one, and only one space between words (I never made this code bullet-proof, but if it's going out into the user world, it must be made better). The code works through the input string one character at a time, each time it finds a space it assumes the preceding string of characters was a word and puts quotes around it, etc. See if it makes any sense to anyone.
Code:
Private Sub SearchButton_Click()
Dim X As Integer, Last As Integer, AndOr As String
Dim Quote As String, SearchField As String

'Strip leading and ending spaces
[SearchInput] = Trim([SearchInput]) 

Quote = Chr$(34)

Select Case [SearchTypeButtons]
    Case 1
        SearchField = "[Description]"
    Case 2
        SearchField = "[CrossRefID]"
    Case 3
        SearchField = "[SoundID]"
End Select

[SearchKW] = SearchField + " LIKE " + Quote + "*"

If AndOrButton = 1 Then
    AndOr = " AND " + SearchField + " LIKE " + Quote + "*"
 Else
    AndOr = " OR " + SearchField + " LIKE " + Quote + "*"
 End If

Last = Len([SearchInput])

For X = 1 To Last
    If Mid$([SearchInput], X, 1) = " " Then
        [SearchKW] = [SearchKW] + "*" + Quote
        If X <> Last Then [SearchKW] = [SearchKW] + AndOr
    Else
        [SearchKW] = [SearchKW] + Mid$([SearchInput], X, 1)
    End If
Next X
SearchKW = SearchKW + "*" + Quote
If SearchKW = "*" Then SearchKW = ""

Me.Filter = SearchKW
Me.FilterOn = True

ExitSearchButton_Click:

End Sub
Good luck.

-Curt

PS: A note to new users such as yourself - try not to post the same question to different sections of the forum, especially on the same day. It diffuses the answers and just ticks some people off. Good luck.

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 19:11
I didn't actually realize it posted to the other side, as my computer froze up while posting, oh well.\

Thanks, that's exactly what I was trying to accomplish, but didn't know how to make it look for the " " in the middle of the string.

I'll give this a try, I'm not a amatuer in access, just this one stumped me.

Again, thanks,

Vassago

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom