Navigation Issue with RecordsetCount (2 Viewers)

Solo712

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:26
Solo

What do you mean by Library.

Is this just a place to store snippets of code for future reference or is it part of a Mulit User Database, where the various Functions are called by the various users.

They could be calling code for use in one or more Databases. The idea being to change code in one place and it ripples down through all DBs.

Not sure what you are asking, Rain. I have a code library, basically a standard set of functions and a GUI model which I use for all (or most of) my apps. Speeds up development considerably. The nav button set is part of that model. It was working fine until I recently decided to disable the Access nav bar - a "cosmetic" change - and the issue of the messed-up recordcount popped up. It's not really a big deal - I am leaving the Access nav bar on for now.

Best,
Jiri

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 10:26
Not sure what you are asking, Rain. I have a code library, basically a standard set of functions and a GUI model which I use for all (or most of) my apps. Speeds up development considerably. The nav button set is part of that model. It was working fine until I recently decided to disable the Access nav bar - a "cosmetic" change - and the issue of the messed-up recordcount popped up. It's not really a big deal - I am leaving the Access nav bar on for now.

Best,
Jiri
A few year ago I was caught up in rather a large Access Database Office. They had a hundred or so users with the max on any single Database of about 40.

There were about 20 Databases shared by various users depending on their position and their department. All this was done in Access 97.

Almost every day a database would crash and it was my job to get it up and running. As part of my job I was to find the cause of this corruption, Not an easy job at all.

Eventually I found that every single database shared this one fie which was their Library of Functions.

I eventually cane to the conclusion that this was the same as sharing the Front End. There was lots of crashes as people accessed a particular file at the same time.

I copied the Modules to the Front end of each database. Then did the usual Compact before distribution to the users.

From that point on it was rare to have a crash instead of it being a regular part of the day.

I don't know if this has anything to do with your situation but it can do no harm being aware of the potential problem.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:26
When the native nav buttons are enabled, particularly for a big recordset, there is a visible delay between loading the "1" and loading the number that is the highest record number in the set. I suspect that the nav controls have hidden code such that when you do the Form_Load, that control inits itself by doing a count of records. Since this is not visible in the data area of the form and yet it is possible to actually see the delay in the nav control, I question as to whether the form's recordset is used, or whether the nav control ALSO uses .RecordsetClone.

The question not answered is this: In the case where there are nav buttons and you load the form, does the form's recordset contain that record number? Or does it only belong to the control? I.e. if you do a Form_Load event but you don't manually or programmatically perform a command such as Me.Recordset.Movelast, is Me.Recordset.Count correct anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom