Need Some Advice (1 Viewer)

C

capblye

Im in the process of building a database for a friends business, and im a bit of a newbie with access.
Id like to get some opinions on structure and overall how i should build the Database.
My goal is to have two types of clients ... donors and buyers.
A client can be both a donor, a buyer or both.
When a client is a donor, they get a certain amount of credits added to their account.
When a client is a buyer, they will be purchasing those credits from a donor.
heres an example of what i want to accomplish;
John smith donates 500 credits; I enter John Smiths info and credits into his profile;
Jim Doe buys 100 of John Smiths credits; I want the DB to automatically update Mr. Smiths Credits, and then add 100 credits to Jim Does profile.
Also, I want John Smith to be able to purchase credits from Jane Johnson, and again, have the credits added to John Smith and deducted from Jane Johnson automatically.
Get my meaning here?
The tables will also contain the typical client info ...ie; Name, Address, Phone, SSN etc...
Can i/Should i do a seperate table just for credits and link it to the client tables? Should i create seperate tables for Buyers and Donors?

Also, I have an excel spreadsheet with formulas to do credits already, but when i tried to import it into a table in access, it didnt work so well.
Any opinions on table structure, design etc would be greatly appreciated
Thanks all for lookin in

C

capblye

If this was school work, i would have said it was ... its been a loooong time since i was in school anyway ....
theres no need to leave nasty or unhelpful replies ... all im looking for are opinions and experienced advice ..
Guess you lack the latter eh?

still_rookie

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:04
ok guys... no need to get huffed puffed.... im in school, and capbyle , i will help you...

Here's a solution:

Make two tables, one with all information about the people involved (like Mr Smith & Jim Doe) and make another with fields such as 'Donated' or 'Purchased'... Make a relationship with the two tables (in the second, include a field something such as 'First Name' and this field will obviously be in the 1st table.. so relate them via this field).

SOrry about this but i will get back to you tomm with the rest of the solutions... i cannot think too much at the moment because here it is 4 O'clock in the morning, and my mind is a bit frozed and clogged withmy studies... so don't worry... i will get back to you ASAP (prob tomm, i.e. 14th)

tc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom