Need some help append/updating (1 Viewer)

TravelerOn

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:49
Hi all,

Need a few pointers, please. I have a table in one database that contains a non-primary key called "Trial ID" as well as budget information by year, "2000","2001" etc...now I have a table in MY database that is for another group of users across the network to use, with a primary key "Clinical Trial ID" (basically the same thing), as well as the same budget fields, and I need the two databases to communicate with each other. That is, if the users on the remote database update the budget info per trial, then I want the changes to reflect in mine, and vice versa. Automating is not a problem, really....but I don't know how to write a query properly to make the changes per trial id. Help!

Kate

Alexandre

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:49
Kate, I fear that you may be under estimating the complexity of automating synchronization when your data can be updated independently on separate databases (namely in case of conflicting updates).

I believe the simplest solution would be to put your common structure into a back-end common to all users, on a server, and have your front ends linked to both this DB and to specific ones holding the other necessary tables.

If your DBs cannot be permanently connected, you may have to look into replication.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alexandre (edited 02-13-2002).]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom