Need to change everything! (1 Viewer)

hazell

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:26
Morning,
I set up a database some time ago with two tables, one called Young People and one called Youth Provisions. The Young People table now holds the records of about 700 young people who are registered with us, and the Youth Provisions table holds records of all the youth clubs that we run in the area - which is around 10 a week.
When I set this up I very foolishly set up the Youth Provisions table so that the list of attendees on a particular date was selected from a look up table from Young People. We just click on the list and tick boxes. At the time that seemed to be fine, but I have discovered a number of problems:
1) As the list has grown this has become time-consuming, which defeated the object
2) Running queries is very problematic because Access doesn't seem to 'see' the ticked names but returns all instances of those names for every provision.
What I want to know now is:
a) What would have been the best way to set this up, given the number of registered users and provisisons we have
b) is there any way for me to import the data that I have into a new table. When I look at the attendees in the Youth Provisions table, it shows as First Person, Second Person, Third Person etc as one entry in a field. I can get the query to return this as a list, but none of the information seems to be 'set' as it would be in a normal query, and I can still see the tick lists and change things in the returned query, if you see what I mean.
Typically, our monitoring is due next week and I need to be able to access this information and run queries asap.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 03:26
Ok you have tPeople table, and tProvision table.
I'm assuming , the tPeople has a yes/no field so you can 'tick' them?
This seems fine. BUT you need a 3rd table for both. tEvent table.
This is a combination of tPeople and tProvisions and date.

tEvent table
EventID (auto)
PersonID (long) from tPeople table
ProvID (long) from tProv table
EventDate
Notes

when you choose the person to its provision center, the append query must add both IDs to the tEvent table.
(did i need to qualify them as youth?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom