Need to randomly allocate a resource based on a change in week value (1 Viewer)

weedot

Local time
Today, 18:20
Hope someone can help me out here!

I have a table that holds a fixture list for various competitions. The teams are split into, normally, no more than 2 sections. Each section would then play in one of 2 sessions. A 'bye' team is added to even up the fixtures if required.

My problem is that only 4 games can be played in any one session. I have managed to split the teams into sections and allocate fixtures on a weekly basis, but need to be able to add a resource numbered 1-4 for each week and ensure that none of the resources is allocated more than once in any given week

The pseudo code would sort of be:

loop through the fixture list for week 1, allocate a resource number 1-4, When the week number changes loop again, When the section number changes start the whole thing again!

Not all resources need to be allocate ie Week 1 may have 3 games so resources 1,3 and 4 could be allocated or any other permutation. The only real restriction is that no resource can be used twice in the same week.

Any assistance will be greatfully received.

Last edited:

modest

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:20
I think the reason you're not getting responses is probably due to your terminology/vocabulary.

While words have multiple meanings, a fixture is generally used when referring to devices, such as a light fixture or plumbing fixture; it's something that's been installed or added on to property.

Additionally, when you say allocate, that is generally in terms of resources, such as memory. Setting it aside for use. You may be using this term correctly, but I just wanted to clarify.

The other issue I had was the fact that you went from "sections" to "sessions" and I wasn't sure whether they were to mean the same thing or if this was done on purpose. A session is the life of a connection, whereas a section is a placement or location.

--Is your problem a scheduling issue or does it actually related to VBA?

modest

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:20
I think the reason you're not getting responses is probably due to your terminology/vocabulary.

While words have multiple meanings, a fixture is generally used when referring to devices, such as a light fixture or plumbing fixture; it's something that's been installed or added on to property.

Additionally, when you say allocate, that is generally in terms of resources, such as memory. Setting it aside for use. You may be using this term correctly, but I just wanted to clarify.

The other issue I had was the fact that you went from "sections" to "sessions" and I wasn't sure whether they were to mean the same thing or if this was done on purpose. A session is the life of a connection, whereas a section is a placement or location.

--Is your problem a scheduling issue or does it actually relate to VBA?

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time

In English English a fixture can be as you say a lighting fixture or plumbing fixture. It can also be a match in a sporting context. This is what is meant in the OP.

weedot

Local time

ahh two nations seperated by a common language!!!!!!

I shall try to Americanize this for you. Your American football consists of AFC and NFC- call these 'sections'. Each team in these 'sections' play against each other at least once a season- call these fixtures. The resource could be a stadium. A session in this case is a 2 hr time period. Yes it is a scheduling issue and a VBA issue. Yes allocate does mean 'set aside for use'.hope this clarifies the issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom