Nested SubForm Example (1 Viewer)

Fran Lombard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:09
I was hoping someone could give me a practical example of a Nested SubForm.

I use the SubForm control extensively in my application but always only 1 level down when I'm presenting a 1 to many relationship. Such as an Invoice or Sales Order. With the main form representing the "Header" information and the subform the detail line items.

I feel like I may be missing out on a powerful technique but I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around where it would be appropriately used and how the forms would be laid out.

Thanx in advance
Fran

Old Man Devin

Consul Of Code
Local time
Today, 20:09
Do you mean having a subform with another subform on it?

I recently did this. A client wanted to have a companies form, with an addresses subform to list the locations that company operated at, then a subform to the subform to list people they could contact at each address. Seemed to work just fine!

The only difficulty was laying it out so it was clear what was going on. I found giving the subforms borders and clear labelled helped a lot with this.

My gut feeling though is that nested subforms are less stable than single subforms, especially during development (Access doesn't like working with subforms, can cause corruptions when there is nested one). But if its the easiest way to show something, then I'd still say its worth a go.

I can't think of any other times I've used it, so I don't think its something you would commonly need.

Edit: attached a screen shot of how I make it look in this example.

Attachments

• nestedformexample.png
    nestedformexample.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 255

Fran Lombard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:09
Thank you Old Man Devin. I do now see how a nested sub form would be appropriate in the scenario you described and will give one a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom