New style scrollbars & changes to the ribbon/QAT (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 18:55
As a change from the many emails rightly concerned about the significant fallout from the latest Access bug, I’ve just noticed the new design scrollbars
… much easier to see and with rounded ends.
As you would expect its an Office wide change. When did that happen?

Scrollbars.png

I approve of this scrollbar change though I’m not a fan of the new style ribbon/QAT and the rather clunky way that you now have to use to minimise the ribbon instead of clicking an up arrow ….

ribbon dropdown.png

I haven’t had time to investigate how detaching the QAT from the ribbon works in practice.
Does anyone to know if you can now display/hide just the QAT using code? If so, what code?

Last edited:

Cotswold

Local time
Just noticed your post on this issue , I have had my Access19 set not to accept updates.
I'm set at 2108 Build 14326.20238 and was wondering about updating to 2021.
Now not so sure, maybe after this has been fixed sometime next year? What is your opinion isladogs?

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Today, 10:55
I approve of this scrollbar change though I’m not a fan of the new style ribbon/QAT and the rather clunky way that you now have to use to minimise the ribbon instead of clicking an up arrow ….
does this apply to older versions like 2007?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Just noticed your post on this issue , I have had my Access19 set not to accept updates.
I'm set at 2108 Build 14326.20238 and was wondering about updating to 2021.
Now not so sure, maybe after this has been fixed sometime next year? What is your opinion isladogs?

OK I'm somewhat confused by your reply so I'll take each point one at a time.
1. The recent major bug affecting Access database on a network share was a botched attempt to fix a longstanding security issue that was only recently discovered. It was fixed on Friday, less than 3 days after it was first triggered/reported. Whilst I wish that better checking had been done before the update that caused it was released, the speed of response was in my opinion outstanding. The bug affected all supported versions of Access, both retail & subscription from A2013 onwards
2. If you have Access versions like 2108 Build 14326.20238 then I believe you are running Access 365 which is a subscription version with an update released at least once per month.
If I'm wrong and you have a retail version of Access 2019 then I see no real benefit in updating to A2021 as there are very few differences between them. Both 2019 & 2021 retail versions will continue to get security updates but no feature updates.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
does this apply to older versions like 2007?

No. Retail versions get security updates whilst they remain supported ... but no feature updates
Office 2007 & 2010 are no longer supported which means they will get no further updates - not even for security related issues

BTW Not sure if anyone noticed from my screenshot but scrollbars in Access listbox CONTROLS haven't changed. Only those in OBJECTS such as tables, queries & forms are affected. Similarly for equivalent objects on other Office products such As Outlook

My copy of Windows 10 still has old style scrollbars e.g. in File Explorer.
My guess is that the Office wide changes were done to match design changes introduced in Windows 11

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom