New to the forum and stuck with Access (1 Viewer)

sadieb2011

Local time
Today, 12:54
Hi All,
I wonder if you can help. I will try be as clear as possible. I have Access experience but only so far as setting up tables, queries, forms and reports so please be gentle with me and not be too technical!!!!

I have Access 2007. I have a query that I would like to set up a reminder in so that when you open a query, it pops up with a message box that tells you that there is a review to do.

So for example I have a column titled “SDS Review Date”, I want a reminder to pop up that comes up 3 months before this date. How do I set this up? I have tried Google and I am now TOTALLY confused! Any help you could provide would be MUCH appreciated.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 23:54
You should never be opening a Query except as part of a Form or Report.

You could use the Form's On Current Event to check the Date.

Search Access Help for "DateDiff" function. It should help.

PaulO

Registered User.
Local time
You can achieve this, but as RainLover hints, it would be best to have this linked to and feeding a Form that you can load on startup or from a Menu.

sadieb2011

Local time
Thank you, so am I right in understanding that the best way is to set up a form and then set up a pop up (which I'm still stuck with)?

RainLover

Local time
No need for a POP Up, unless you want to do it that way.

First step wpould be to get a Form working that displays the records that you require.

Then we can work on the pretty stuff.

You said that you were stuck with Access. Does this mean you have had no experience with any form of Database or do you prefer simply something else.

sadieb2011

Local time
A form would be fine but aside from using form wizard I'm stuck. To be honest if I don't need a pop up then that is fine, for some reason I had it in my head that that would be the best way...

So how do I set up a form to show when something in my column titled “SDS Review Date”, is due (Which is 3 months before the date in the box)?

Thank you so much for your support, I really appreciate it! I thought I was competent in Access but this has just got me so confused!

RainLover

Local time
There is nothing wrong with using the Wizard. I use it most of the time as it is quicker.

Once I have the basic infomation on the form I then worry about colours Fonts and layout etc.

Design a Query with all the information you want displayed. Name Address etc. Also add that Date field. In the criteria for the date enter this.

>=DateAdd("m",-3,[DateTest]) This is where DateTest needs to be changed to your Field's name.

Save this query and use it in the wizard to create your Form.

RainLover

Local time
Appologies for saying DateDiff in Post number 2.

It should have been DateAdd as I have just used.

urfriend

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:54
There is nothing wrong with using the Wizard. I use it most of the time as it is quicker.

Once I have the basic infomation on the form I then worry about colours Fonts and layout etc.

Design a Query with all the information you want displayed. Name Address etc. Also add that Date field. In the criteria for the date enter this.

>=DateAdd("m",-3,[DateTest]) This is where DateTest needs to be changed to your Field's name.

Save this query and use it in the wizard to create your Form.

excuse me, but does "m" in that field stand for month?
what if i want in a day format, shall i put "d" instead? and "w" for week, etc.?

Last edited:

urfriend

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:54
got it.. thanks.

The interval argument (argument: A value that provides information to an action, an event, a method, a property, a function, or a procedure.) has these settings:
Setting Description
yyyy Year
q Quarter
m Month
y Day of year
d Day
w Weekday
ww Week
h Hour
n Minute
s Second

RainLover