Newbie - Categories (1 Viewer)

Fuzion

Local time
Today, 21:17
Hi,

I am working on a database to list all the inkjet cartridges we sell. Within the printer table, I want to list which category they are on our website. For example, Epson C20 Printer would be in Ink & Toner > Epson > Inkjet > Stylus C & CX Series.

I what some way to enter these in a number of fields, say Cat1, Cat2 etc. I havent a cluw what would be the best way to do this? Has anyone got any ideas? I am thinking about some kind of drill down but wouldnt know where to start on this. Any help would be gratefully received?

Cheers

J

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 13:17
Don't add multiple columns as that will not be properly normalized and you will hate the results later.

Look into Normalization (put in Normalization in the search with Pat Hartman as the poster and you will find a lot of good info. This is not to say there isn't good info from other posters, but Pat has some really good explanations on the subject).

When using Access (relational database), you need to thing down instead of across.

Fuzion

Local time
Today, 21:17
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info, however I have got even more confused now :confused: .

Can anyone out there give me a small example of how to get this to work. I find it alot easier to get hold of this way.

Thanks in advance.

J

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 13:17
Okay, a quick example would be:

Printers Manufacturer Table
PrinterMfrID - autonumber (primary key)
PrinterManufacurerName - text

Printer Model Table
PrinterID - autonumber (primary key)
PrinterMfrID - number (foreign key from Mfr table)
PrinterModel - Text
PrinterInkTypeID - number (foreign Key from Ink Type Table)

Printer Ink Type Table
PrinterInkTypeID - autonumber (primary key)
PrinterInkType - Text (example Laser, Ink Jet, etc.)

Printer Ink Cart Table (for ink cartridges/toner cartridges)
PrinterInkCartID - autonumber (primary key)
PrinterInkTypeID - number (foreign key)
PrinterInkCartModel - Text
PrinterInkColor - Text (example black, red, multi, yellow, etc.)

Printer Carts to Model Table (match up cartridges that go with different models)
PrinterCMID - autonumber (primary key)
PrinterID - number (foreign key)
PrinterInkCartID - number (foreign key)

And there could be many other things that could either be included in each table, or in other tables. This is just a quick example to get you thinking and others will probably chime in as to how they might accomplish it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom