Noob Linking fields in Tables Q (1 Viewer)

paddy57

Local time
Today, 11:46
Hi, First post - Hope I can do more as I get to know Access, but I'm a little new to it, so here's my question.

I am trying to develop a Order Input form.
I have 2 tables & Input Forms generated already. Customers & Products.

On the Order Input Form I want it to put records in a new table.

Q1. I would like to input the Customer address from a dropdown of customers already input - I've worked out how to do combo boxes & the drop down list ok - but how do I get the rest of the customer table to fill in the address fields from my customer table into my product table & store in my orders table?

Q2. Each customer can have many products & again I would like to add the products via drop down & automatically do things like show unit price etc from the products table & automatically show them on the form & store in my orders table

Pointers to tuts to help would also be helpful, sorry if this is answered elsewhere but I can't find it.

alktrigger

Aimless Extraordinaire
Local time
Today, 06:46
Q1. If you're not going to be updating customer information on that form, create a query that shows all of the information that you would want to see, then for customer name (Assuming this is what the combobox shows) set criteria to " [Forms]![frmOrder]![cmbCustomerName] ". Then open frmOrder and open the property sheet for cmbCustomerName and change the "on Update" or "on Change" to have a macro that contains the "requery" command (or in VB use the code DoCmd.Requery ). Then put a subform into the form that is based off of the query you just made. You can then change settings in the query to display what and how you want.

paddy57

Local time
Cheers, I'll give it a go.

paddy57

Local time
OK, showing my ignorance here. Done above.

When I open my order form it asks me to input the customer name, this is before it shows the form. It runs the query & displays the customer on the subform. This is nearly what I want.

However the combo box has no effect - How can I get the query to run on the combobox dropdown result not when the form opens?

alktrigger

Aimless Extraordinaire
Local time
Today, 06:46
Could you attach an empty database so I can take a look at it and see if we can diagnose this problem?

paddy57

Local time
Thanks, See attached its not my database but a noddy 1 I put together to try your solution.

Thanks for your time & help

Attachments

• playingwsubform.mdb
    548 KB · Views: 97

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom