not enough memory (1 Viewer)

crich21

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:06
I've been using this database for years and all of a sudden I am getting an error.
I have not made any changes to the database.

Here is the error.
"There isn't enough memory to perform this operation. Close unneeded programs and try the operation again. "

I believe I have narrowed it down to anywhere in the program that uses the docmd.OutputTo method

Code:
DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, "rptProductionOrder", acFormatPDF, strEmailpath & "Production\" & Left(Me.ActiveControl, 6) & " Production.pdf", False

This is a split database and only 1 pc is getting the error.

I have checked maxlocksperfile
memory usage for access is only 65mb
remove video card driver(tried again and then reinstalled newer version)
exported all forms and reports with savetotext and then re-imported them
removed and reinstalled adobe reader
tried deleting the registry key for vba and letting it rebuild itself
scandisk
defrag
I don't see any recent windows updates since this problem started today.

Those are the suggestions I found online.

Windows 10 with all lasted updates.
Office 365
Nivida 1660 ti graphics card
32gb ram

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:06
What is the version, bitness & build number that you have for Office365?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:06
If only one PC is getting the error, then try downloading a fresh copy of the FE file. Also check if it had a non-Windows update. Ask your IT staff if they had anything done to the PC in question.

crich21

Registered User.
Local time
If only one PC is getting the error, then try downloading a fresh copy of the FE file. Also check if it had a non-Windows update. Ask your IT staff if they had anything done to the PC in question.
There wasn’t any updates. Windows or otherwise. I’ve already copied new front end. Also tried all the above mentioned.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK, how often does this occur? If it is often enough for you to prepare for a test run, start Windows Task Manager before you start Access. Set WTM to the Performance screen. Find the Memory category and left-click that. Leave it running in the background. Start your test run. If you can do so, shrink the WTM to less than full screen and do the same for Access so that you can show the two tasks at the same time.

You will be looking for any of the memory resource levels to be depleted. The two charts would show you whether physical memory was depleted because the top chart, Memory Usage, would show color all the way to the top line. The second chart under it, Memory Composition, would have no white part. Everything would be in color or if there is ANY white part, it is far to the right and very thin.

Under the charts, there is an "In Use" value and next to it is "Available." If you have depleted memory physically, "Available" will be a very low number, 0 or 0.1 or 0.2, perhaps. In the row under that is a Committed display with a fraction. If the numerator and denominator of that fraction are nearly equal, you ran out of system swap space, also called Virtual Memory.

I'm actually betting that it is none of the above, but this is how you would detect that it was a physical resource limit. I believe you probably have depleted some other internal resource at the task level. Every now and then we get one of these. If it was virtual memory, that's easy. Just boost the amount of disk you allow to be used for system performance enhancement. If it is something else, that tends to be more elusive. You can search the forum or the web for "not enough memory". IF you search this forum, include the quotes around that search string.

crich21

Registered User.
Local time
OK, how often does this occur? If it is often enough for you to prepare for a test run, start Windows Task Manager before you start Access. Set WTM to the Performance screen. Find the Memory category and left-click that. Leave it running in the background. Start your test run. If you can do so, shrink the WTM to less than full screen and do the same for Access so that you can show the two tasks at the same time.

You will be looking for any of the memory resource levels to be depleted. The two charts would show you whether physical memory was depleted because the top chart, Memory Usage, would show color all the way to the top line. The second chart under it, Memory Composition, would have no white part. Everything would be in color or if there is ANY white part, it is far to the right and very thin.

Under the charts, there is an "In Use" value and next to it is "Available." If you have depleted memory physically, "Available" will be a very low number, 0 or 0.1 or 0.2, perhaps. In the row under that is a Committed display with a fraction. If the numerator and denominator of that fraction are nearly equal, you ran out of system swap space, also called Virtual Memory.

I'm actually betting that it is none of the above, but this is how you would detect that it was a physical resource limit. I believe you probably have depleted some other internal resource at the task level. Every now and then we get one of these. If it was virtual memory, that's easy. Just boost the amount of disk you allow to be used for system performance enhancement. If it is something else, that tends to be more elusive. You can search the forum or the web for "not enough memory". IF you search this forum, include the quotes around that search string.
I will check the additional items u suggested. I already monitored the memory and it stays around 65mb when I click on a button to create a pdf. I have multiple forms with these create pdf buttons and they all have this error since this morning. I have also Increased page file size from 9500 to 10500

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When you create a PDF and you get the error, is it for the first "create PDF" action or a later one, and if "later", how many PDFs make it? A "memory leak" could do this sort of thing, in which internal PROCESS (not system) memory gets blown out by limitations.

EDIT: After this triggered a memory, I ran a search.

There appears to be some buggy PDF utilities related to memory usage.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I agree. That was why I asked about the 365 version info.
If it is the same issue as described in the article at AccessForever.org, then a fix is on its way soon.
In the meantime, check the work-rounds as listed in the article

crich21

Registered User.
Local time
Awesome. Thank you all. I was only looking back a few days for updates. I was able to rollback the update and fix this issue for now.
Now I have to notify all workers to turn off automatic updates, until I can test the "open dummy report" mentioned in the link posted by cheekybuddha.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This sounds like the same error I mentioned in a different thread. We suspect it's caused by the fixes issued to correct the bugs in the 2305 update. We temporarily reverted to 2304.

crich21

Registered User.
Local time
Appears newest release a few days ago, its still an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom